Kuredu Island Resort, Lhaviyani Atoll Review

walkerm's review of Kuredu Island Resort, Lhaviyani Atoll

“My partner and myself spend two weeks at Kuredu Island...”

Written on: 26/01/2004 by walkerm (10 reviews written)

Clean
Food
Beaches
Friendly Staff
Nice rooms

Mosquitoes
Some beach bungalows get sewage smell
Tipping confusion
Remote

General Comments
My partner and myself spend two weeks at Kuredu Island in January 2004. We had a great time and would not hesitate to recommend it. As always, it had its negatives as well as positive - however, for us the positives far outweighed the negatives.

Kuredu Island Resort is approximately 40 minutes, by Seaplane, from Male airport. We did not try the boat transfer as it was 4 hours! We got reports from other guests that the boat-transfer is 'not nice', especially in choppy seas. The seaplane is smooth, quick and offers great views of the islands between Male and Kuredu.

We stayed in a Beach Bungalow (No 330), situated in the North-part of the Isand. On arrival we had the option of upgrading to a Beach Villa/Water Villa but after a couple of days in the bungalow decided it was fine. The bungalow consisted of a single room, with glass front-door opening onto a wooden-decking veranda. The room had mini-bar, safe, double-bed, two wickerwork chairs and a table. The back-door opened out onto a open-air (surrounded by a high-wall) bathroom with shower/toilet/sink. The shower had hot water, although it needed running for about 5 minutes before getting hot. The bunglow was about 15 seconds back from the beach in a shaded setting. Each bunglow is detached, with about 1.5 meters between each. They DO NOT have mosquitoe nets and there were quite big gaps in the window/door-frames. A lot of folk at Kuredu were being eaten alive by mozzies and a significant few had their holidays ruined by them. To tackle the mozzies bring Mosquitoe Coils (green things that smolder and work VERY well) and lots of DEET-based repelent. We forgot the coils - doh! - but the repelent worked quite well. Note that the area is NOT a Malaria region, so no need for malaria tablets!

From our bungalow it was a 5 minute walk (you can walk round the whole island in 45 minutes!) to the pool/restaurant/reception. We noted that bungalows 375-390 often had a general sewage smell around them - this is due to the sewage-plant nearby and if the wind is in the wrong direction. The smell was noticable, but not overpowering.

The Pool/bars/main-restaurants are located together, near to the Spa and tennis/badminton courts. We had an 'All-Inclusive' package which gave us breakfast/lunch/dinner as well as unlimited soft-drinks, beer and a selection of (poorish quality) spirits. Costs of brand-name drinks is high - similar to UK prices. The two main restaurants serve all food on a 'help-yourself' basis. The food was often 'themed' and we found it better than 'ok'. When you first visit the restaurant you will be allocated a table and waiter - this is fixed for your whole visit (note, you will be sharing the table with another couple). We tryed the 'Far East' restaurant (There are three restaurants that are not covered by the All-Inc price - The Beach, The Far East and Sangu) and got an excellent 3-course meal with house-wine for two costing a total of $55.

We hired snorkeling kit (US$30 per 6-days) and found the water around Kuredu teeming with colourful fish, turtles, (safe) sharks etc.... It was great fun and even a novice/first-timer will be amazed! I am not happy with PADI safety (in general, NOT Kuredu in particular), so didn't do the diving - but I'm told that it is brilliant around Kuredu and nearby islands.

There is windsurfing, paddle-boats, kite surfing, skiing, (windsurfing/paddle-boats are free on All-Inc!!), pro-dive centre etc....

Now, the Resort says that money (cash) is not needed as all purchases on the island are 'signed-for' and you pay at the end by credit-card (remember this is an Island resort - the WHOLE Island is the resort and only guests/staff allowed on it). However, when the bags were delivered to the room the guys hung around for a tip, also you will be asked to donate a tip to the crew on some excursions. Tipping at the resort does not seem to be clear. We left US$15 for the room-boy (he did a good job and was a generally nice guy), US$40 to the waiter (Mujey - who was brilliant, non-intrusive and very knowledgable on topics concerning the Maldives). We tended to give $US1 tip to the excursion 'pot'. When tipping at Kuredu, remember a 'well-paid' professional (IE a Software Programmer) gets about US$150 a month - we beleive the waiter was on US$70 a month. So, big tips (someone left a waiter US$100!!!) are just not needed. You will also need cash to make purchases off the island, when on excursions AND (so many folk are caught out on this) $US25 each for departure tax). Bring about $US200 and you wont go wrong (unless you are a big spender!). You CANNOT get cash on the Island, so bring it with you. US$ seem to be accepted in most places, but not all, we found $US50 in Maldive Rf's was useful for buying drinks/snacks when on excursions.

In general, we found most of the staff very friendly (some seemed to blank me, but as soon as I smiled and said 'Hi' - they always beamed back big smiles; maybe not all folk say hi....!) and helpful. The gifts were all made in Thailand and quite expensive, although they can and will make a shirt for you in the shop! Bring a couple of underwater disposable cameras - the Photo-shop is a rip-off (A camera costing £7 at Heathrow cost $US27 at the resort!!!) with developing costing $US20 for 27 prints.

Bottom line, Go, and have fun!! But take note of the points above (especially the mozzies)...

We went with Best@Travel, flying with QATAR airlines. Total cost was £3000 for the two of us on All-Inclusive. I would recommend both the agent and the airline.

Written on: 07/04/2004

For pictures of Kuredu, goto http://www.alexview.com/Kuredu/index.htm
<br>
<br>Its our personal website with no advertising or whatever...

Finfit's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 19/02/2008

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I'm off to Kuredu in November 08 and i am staying in a Garden Bungalow, does anyone know which rooms are the best? What restaurants can we eat from if we are staying in the gardens Bungalow? Also I am quite worried about the open air bathroom, what does it mean? what is it like? I'm terrified of cockroaches and other horrible insects, is there any way to keep them out the bathroom, bedroom etc? What are the Garden Bungalows like? Is the bathroom actually part of the bungalow? I am staying All Inclusive, does this include spirits and beer during the day as well as at night? Is there a CD player and a hair dryer in the room and does it take British plugs? What trips would you recommend?
<br/>Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Written on: 01/06/2006

Thanks again for your help, only 24 days to go before i go, i will let you know how it all goes.

Written on: 31/05/2006

Hi Stef, They are small green coils, about 15cm diameter, that you put on a small metal stand. You light the end and they smolder for about 5-8 hours - a bit like a hippy jostick. They contain a Dinitrophenol that kills and repels mozzies (and other anoying biting things!). They are safe in quite small spaces - i use them in a tent, on a metal plate! - and are VERY effective. Obviously, not so effective if its windy etc! :-) You can buy them in camping shops like Blacks etc.
Mat

Written on: 30/05/2006

hi again, i keep reading about mosie coils, can you tell me what they are and how to use them? thanks stef l

Carolcarroll's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 11/04/2006

Thanks for replying to my question. I made a mistake in my typing. We are AI but we are staying in a BB, you will have to forgive me, must be my age. Ha Ha. You have put our minds at ease and we are looking forward to going and we are not going to upgrade , like you said the BB are gonna be ok and after all we are just sleeping in them. I just hope the weather is ok as july is a bad time for going but hey what the hell at least we are going.

Written on: 10/04/2006

Hiya,
You are very unlikely to see Dophins from your bungalow; but don't let that put a dampner on things, once there seeing dolphins from the bungalow will seem a very minor issue.
I would strongly recommend upgrading from B&B to full-board. The whole island is the resort; there are NO third-party shops or restaurants so you will be eating in their places anyway and the prices are quite exorbitant. So, unless you are bringing your own food or plan to miss meals get that B&B upgraded. A cheaper way to upgrade is to contact the resort directly and upgrade - then the agents won't syphon their commission.
When we were there (it is a while back, so I may now be wrong) bungalows around 330 smelt slightly of sewage - mainly because the plant is quite near. However, apart from that all the bungalows are fine.

Don't expect to be right-on-beach as this is the preserve of the villias which, in our view, are not worth the extra money. You will be a few meters back under palm trees - we prefered this as it was shady so cooler around the living area and much much quieter than the on-the-beach villas near the main complex where most folk congregate, walk, etc etc....
Hope that helps, but one thing to NOT FORGET IS THE MOZZIE COILS!!! We have subsequently heard from other folk who have been eaten alive out there after forgetting their mozzie coils. It is ONLY really coils that work, the lotions and creams seem to have a very limited effectiveness.

Have fun there and don't worry, it IS nicer than the brochures whatever bungalow you get :-)

Mat

Carolcarroll's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 27/03/2006

Me and my family are going to Kuredu in July and we are staying in a B&B. Could you please tell us which numbers are the best ones to stay in as the kids are expecting to see the dolphins from our bungalow?

Written on: 14/12/2005

No worries Stef and yes I am green with envy. It was so long ago we went :-)
<br>
<br>Be great to see your review when you get back and see if anything has changed!

Written on: 07/11/2005

I have just read your review,and all the comments,i feel i must say it is the best review i have read,also very helpful. Thanks for spending the time to help people like me. I have booked to go in june 06 and can't wait.

Written on: 30/06/2005

No worries KnS! Glad to help :-)
Indeed it is awsome, a lovely part of the world and free from Loud-mouthed yobs (some Germans with towels-on-loungers tho :-)).
We were on a BB AI package and indeed we did share our table. The way it works is, the first time you arrive for food you are allocated a table and a waiter. This is your table/waiter for the entire stay (works well as the waiter gets to know your habits/tastes and can then second-guess you - I always had a tea at breakfast and Pamela OJ, after a couple of days we didnt have to ask anymore the waiter had remembered). The tables seat four people, so if you are a couple then you will be sharing - no way out. But the time window for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner's are quite wide, so often we missed our table-chums. We were actually lucky, we got on with our table-chums very well and they were great; they left Kuredu 4 days before us so we had another couple for the last few days (again, they were great!). So yes you do share, it is a lottery, but dont let it worry you; unless you slurp yer soup, intend getting rat-faced all the time or are new to knife-and-forks, in which case your table-chums may be not so accomodating...:-)

Karen N Steve's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 29/06/2005

Hi Walkerm
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain things! I feel so much more chilled about the whole situation, its sounds awsome and were both now even more giddy!Only 2wks and 3 days to go and counting..... one last quick question if I'm not pushing it - I've read that you have to share your dining tables with other couples??! Whats that all about, and is there any way you can get out of it, not that were not anti-social or anything just incase we fancied talking rudies over our lobster like N&E said we are on our honeymoon!!!

Written on: 29/06/2005

Hi all. Congratulations N&E and KnS!
The 'bathrooms' of all the 'on-land' (as opposed to the villas on water - I dunno what they are like) are actually open-air and to the back of the accomodation. The roof comes down over the loo/shower/sink, but then there is a garden (well, sand and if you are lucky a tree) The Beach Bungalows have a 10 ft high wall all round them (have a look at page two of the Kuredu pics [http://www.alexview.com/Kuredu/index.htm], i sat on the loo and did a panorama from right - the sink - right round the garden).
The Jacuzzi villa's seem to have similar setups, althought the wall is wooden slats and the whole things are slightly up off the ground (if my memory serves right). They are totally private, although quite close to each other and with a road (wide path, no traffic there!!) behind them. However, no-one we spoke to said that they noticed it - you cant see because of the high wooden-wall. I think you will be fine, although keeping any 'noises' down might a thought :-)
Karen/Steve. Stop yer worrying, the Beach Bungalows are great! :-) While the distance varies, the BB's are about 50ft back from the water under cover of coconut palms. This is actually good, as lots of folk at Kuredu like to walk round the Island and if you were right on the beach it might not be so secluded. We indeed were given the option of upgrading, but declined it until we had tried the BB's. We then decided it wasnt worth it for the amount of time we would be spending in the 'room' (sleeping, changing clothes etc). The upgrade prices are quoted to you, they are fully open about pricing... Overall, we thought the Bungalows were fine for what we wanted - some folk may want more but we wanted peace quiet and a deserted beach - we got it...
Food in AI is nothing to write home about. It is a help-yerself affair; although well presented and good it is just 'nosh'. We dined at a paying (note, you just sign, then pay for everything at the end of your stay) restaurant. Lobster was off the menu that night - they hadn't caught any! - but the food was still very good. However, the prices are very high, by Maldive standards, and we decided it was a bit of a ripoff.
No, you wont step out of the accomodation into the water and you wont get free lobster every night - if you want that then double the price :-) But dont worry, thoughts of all that will dissolve once you're there, honest! Have fun, yer off in 3 weeks lucky s*ds!

Karen N Steve's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 28/06/2005

Hi i just want to pick your brains re kuredu!
<br>My soon to be husband and I are goin on honeymoon on 17th July 05 to Kuredu, andd were staying in a beach bungalow. To be honest we didn't realy look into the differences of accomodation until recently and I'm now a little worried as I've read that the bungalows could be better! Weve been dreaming of a little hut on the beach with a few steps down to the sea - and I'm not sure now whether our dreams are goin to be just that!! I'm hoping that we will be given the option to upgrade when we get there-I've read that you were give the option, did they quote you a price on upgrading possibly to a beach villa/jacuzzi villa and would you say there was huge difference in the accomodations? One last qtion - What was the food like in the A/I restaurants-my partner is expecting to be able to have Lobster every night! I think this may be available in the other restaurants is this true?!
<br>
<br>Please anyone help me out as I'm a little worried that our hopes are a little too high!!
<br>
<br>Thanks for taking the time to reply
<br>Karen & Steve

194109_Neilandemma's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 20/05/2005

Going to Kuredu in feb '06 for our honeymoon. can anyone comment on what the jacuzzi villas are like and how private the garden area actually is....it is a honeymoon after all!!!!

Theonlyknotty's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 11/05/2005

Thanks for running such an informative review!!!
<br>
<br>Off to Kuredu Island in October 2006. I hope it's as good as you say it is!

Written on: 25/04/2005

Hi ktx1
<br>
<br>The Island is very small, so whatever you have booked is very close to a 'good' spot (its all good!). However, dont worry, when you get there, there is the oportunity to upgrade to a better room... We decided not to, mainly because with the amount of time spent in the room we couldnt justify the added cost - you may well have a bigger budget!
<br>
<br>Spirits are included, but not the 'premium' brands (Gordons Gin for example). We found the 'non-premium' drinks fine; they make them soo strong you soon forget that they are not premium brands :-)
<br>
<br>The only thing I would re-itterate is, ensure you have mozzy coils and high-deet repelant!! Also, use the sea-plane xfers - the boat is a wee nightmare. Then have fun!
<br>
<br>The BB's do have hot water, although you have to let it run for a while before it gets hot; we didnt find that a problem in the slightest..

Mattyb's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 25/04/2005

Hi ktx1,
<br>
<br>Went to Kuredu about 18 month ago, had a fab time. If you have q's about the various rooms etc. Try www.kuredu.com , especially the forum, all the questions seem to have been asked and answered at one time or another!
<br>M

Ktx1's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 23/04/2005

Oh no I am sooo confused. Off to Kuredu in October,
<br>I am convinced we have chosen the right Island but not so the room we have booked.
<br>Beach Bungalow!!!
<br>Do they have hot water? have read reports that say they dont.
<br>Are the Beach Bungalows not in the best location, is it worth the extra cash for a Beach Villa. I want to be able to step out of room onto that fantastic beach.
<br>Are local spirits included in the All Inclusive?
<br>We are not a fussy pair but I would like it to be right!!!

190480_Ktx's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 23/04/2005

Oh no I'm getting soooo confused!!! Off to Kuredu in October in Beach Bungalow.
<br>Do they have hot water? Have read reviews that say they don't.
<br>Are they on the right side of island?
<br>Would it be worth the extra cash changing to a Beach Villa. I want to be able to step out of room onto the fab beach.
<br>Are local spirits included in the All Inclusive.
<br>Feel we have picked right Island but not at all sure
<br>about room type.

Written on: 08/11/2004

What does anyone recommend for detering sandflies

Gilld's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 07/11/2004

My husband and I went in Jan 2003 and we can’t wait to go back. We are planning 2 weeks Sri lanka and 2 weeks Kuredu. We NEVER go back to the same place twice but Kuredu is an exception to the rule! We took lots of Deet but I still got quite badly bitten. If there is a full moon stay away from the waters edge. I was advised that the sand flies breed there at full moon and that’s where I got badly bitten. It seemed so romantic at the time! Definitely use the sea plane for transfers; we used the boat to get to the island. It was great, flying fish, it was rocking' and rollin' great fun for me, but lots of people were seasick. We took the easy sea plane option back to the airport.
<br>The sea is full of life. if you are an experienced diver I suggest you forget the excursions and just go snorkelling off the island. We saw a black tipped reef shark (approx 6ft long) within 15 feet depth. It was awesome!!!!

Written on: 22/10/2004

Thanks a lot for the info, i've ordered deet from travel with care.

Written on: 16/10/2004

A good 'outdoor' shop (like Blacks) should stock them. If u are really stuck have a look online. I had a quick look and found http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/penrith_survival/pages/moreinfoa.asp?pe=IJAJQ_+Mosquito+Coils&cid=55
<br>
<br>The spray be a DEET based spray - it really does work well and is our number 1 choice if in a Malarial region (so, is good in Maldives at keeping the mozzies away.) Many have a DEET base, and looking on the net I found http://www.travelwithcare.com/browse.asp?catID=689&sNode=689&Exp=Y However, just ask in your local Chemist - but dont go for anything with less that 55% DEET in it.
<br>
<br>Have a good trip! My mate Adam is going on Sunday - not to Kuredu tho, so we will get a good comparison.

Written on: 14/10/2004

Where can you buy mosquito coils in the uk? what is a good spray?

Mattyb's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 20/09/2004

For ai157;
<br>
<br>We went to Kuredu last November / December. The water Villas are great and the Sangu bar is the best on the island with great views from the terrace, we didn't have to share tables at the restaurant but did occasionally share with folks we'd got to know.

Written on: 18/09/2004

Hi Hayley,
<br>
<br>The bungalows are fine. We were offered an upgrade on arrival, but decided to wait a couple of days to see what the bungalows were like. We ended up staying in the bungalows as you don’t actually spend much time in them; most time you are on the beach, at the bar, playing golf, etc. etc... The only proviso I would make is make sure you don’t get one of the ones with the slight sewage smell (see main review)... We looked at the villa's as we wondered around the resort and reckon we made the right choice; but we did chat to folk there who were glad to upgrade - so it's an individual thing, your reasons to upgrade may be different than ours to stay in a bungalow.
<br>
<br>Hope you have as good a stay as we did! Nothing was taken seriously and we had a great stay! But take mozzy coils and deet-based lotion!!!

Hayley48's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 05/09/2004

Hello, I and my boyfriend are going there next year in march and I really wanted to stay in a beach villa but it was so expensive so we are staying in a beach bungalow. Is it ok to stay in? And will be offered if we want to upgrade? If so how much extra was it? Hope you can help.

Ia157's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 25/08/2004

My boyfriend and I will be staying in a water villa and we wanted to know if whether in the exclusive restaurant do we have to sit with another couple

Written on: 21/07/2004

Chuckle, calm down Mary! We did it as an 'environmental' thing. The plastic bottles are a big problem in the Maldives, that was the major reason for it. Also, I quiet enjoyed the 'sneakyness' of it :-)

Mary1967's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 17/07/2004

People - get a grip - it's around $2.50 for 3Lts of water a day. Can anyone get soooo! wound up about paying that? - If so, then maybe you should stay at home where the water is free. Behave yourselves! You've probably just paid around £1500 for your holiday - CHILL OUT OR STAY AT HOME!

Written on: 12/07/2004

On AI, you get three meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) at set times and in the AI restaurant/s.
<br>
<br>Though out the day you can drink glasses (bottles of water must be paid for) of water/soft-drinks from the bars. The drinks/snacks in the room mini-bars are Very expensive, leave them alone unless rich! You also get glasses of beer /wine /spirits free, good, but the really good stuff is extra.
<br>
<br>The way we played it was as follows:-
<br>
<br>On the first day, we got a litre bottle of water and a small bottle of water; we didn’t throw the empty bottles away. In the evening, I 'drank' a lot of the free Gin & Tonic - actually filling the smaller water bottle; then I could relax in my room/on 'my' bit of beach supping G&T... We filled the bigger water bottle from the room tap and that was our water supply. If you have a really sensitive stomach, perhaps better to only drink non-tap water, but we found the tap water 100% fine. That is really it... We found the 'sneaky' stuff didn’t hinder or spoil the holiday in any way, and the rules are really to prevent wastage and litter, so in fact they are good rules....
<br>Hope that helps

Ohuva's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 30/06/2004

If I go on Kuredu All Inclusive, can I drink whatever, juice and beer between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, after dinner...? What do you mean "unlimited"?
<br>Thanks

Written on: 29/06/2004

Hi Keeley,
<br>
<br>The food was not bad. It was nothing to write home about, but I've had a lot worse. The restaurants you pay in (well, sign the tab and pay at the end of your stay) served VERY good food and was not overly expensive by western standards.
<br>
<br>The All-Inclusive food was varied, with beef-based, chicken-based, seafood-based and veggy-based selections on a 'help-yourself' setup. The breakfasts were interesting as, being an Islamic country, they are not too hot on pork-based cooking and, having very few cattle in the country, the milk is long-life stuff.
<br>
<br>Overall, dont worry about the food. It is safe (my partner knows 'food health'), quite tasty and very well presented.
<br>Hope that helps...

Keeley7's Response to walkerm's Review

Written on: 25/06/2004

I am planning on going to either Kuredu or Kuramathi and wanted to find out what the food is like if I went all inclusive.