Wilkinson Sword Quattro Review

russ david's review of Wilkinson Sword Quattro

Wilkinson Sword Quattro

“I've always been a little sceptical of the claims made...”

Written on: 14/12/2003 by russ david (8 reviews written)

4 blades, good range of movement of razor head.

A little heavier than your normal razor. Can be a little pricey too.

General Comments
I've always been a little sceptical of the claims made by Wilkinson about their blades - I've tried all the Shavers but for closeness of shave, lastability of blades and low-irritation, none could ever top Gilette products. Until now that is.

Having coarse, wirey stubble on sensitive skin, I need a razor which will give me a close shave without leaving my face feel like it's been given a going-over with a sanding machine. With all of Wilkinson's previous efforts this is how I'd end up feeling. Raw rash on my neck, numerous cuts on my face even with brand-new blades, you can see how I wasn't exactly impressed. I'd then go on to the Gilette range (more recently the Mach 3) and have been using them for about 5 years now.

I first saw the Quattro when I was in Eire a few months ago but avoided it until it became more well known in the UK. My local Tesco had a special offer on it so I decided to give it a go. And I'm glad I did.

The first thing you notice is the handle is a bit heavier than what you'd expect but then again a lot of Wilkinson's razors have been like that. With the Mach 3 even though it has 3 blades I'd still need to go over the same area 2 or 3 times therefore adding to the time it would take to shave, this is almost erradicated with the Quattro. Normally a good shave would take me about 10 or 15 minutes (I tend to shave in the bath) but now I could almost halve that. The Quattro's head bends back quite far giving you a good range of movement for those awkward areas on your neck when stubble grows in all directions, and also come with 2 Aloe strips before and after the blade which actually seem to work. I say this as the Aloe on the Mach 3 always wore out after just one shave when I used to use it.

The end result was an extremely close shave in less the normal time with somewhat less irritation, although I'd certainly recommend a quality moisturiser or balm afterwards.

The blades come with the now-obligatory razor guard which I'm not actually sure serve a purpose and minimise cuts or are a gimmick but either way it all adds up to a product which should certainly see Wilkinson mount a serious challenge to Gillette's domination of the male shaving market.