Mamiya 645 1000s Review

• Photograph Quality

DAnthony Quintyne III.'s review of Mamiya 645 1000s

“I have owned the 1000s for 2 years now bought second...”

Written on: 11/10/2001 by DAnthony Quintyne III. (1 review written)

Weight.
General size..
Sharpness of lenses...
Incredible ease of use....

I have had to get the Prism head fixed as the ASA dial just spun around thus could not be set by hand.

I use a Nikon SB-26 speedlight and hate when I loose a frame due to the flash not responding to the camera on tripping the shutter as the SB-26 goes to sleep - I think this is a contact fault too and am having Fixation in Vauxhall London make me a new cable which attaches directly from the SB-26 to the Mamiya's PC X-Socket.

General Comments
I have owned the 1000s for 2 years now bought second hand for £300 with CD Prism Head, Waist Level Finder (WLF), Standard 80mm f2.8 lens and a leatherette case.

I only use the WLF as I prefer that view as opposed to the prism when shooting.

I have used the camera with Aga Scala thru Fuji Provia and print films in between when used with the hand held meter (Sekonic L-608),all shoots are right on the button. No under/over exposure clear edge to edge which just proves how good a manual camera and standard (80mm) lens combination this is. I intend to change the 80mm f2.8 for the faster 80mm f1.9 as I like to shoot daylight (low light too).

I changed the battery on purchasing the camera and have not needed to do so since March 1999.

The screen is particulary clear even in low light levels - with regards to shooting at slow shutter speeds I have not found any problems with holding the camera steady - even as slow as 1/10s.

I also use a Nikon F5 and a Rollei 6008 Integral and spend a lot of time using the Mamiya 1000s it is lighter than the Rollei just lacks the speed of focus of the F5 but hey this camera is some 20 years old.

I have lent this to a friend of mine who is an absolute beginner and he loves the camera even though he has to take meters readings first.

A camera for all seasons.

19380_Brian.'s Response to DAnthony Quintyne III.'s Review

Written on: 15/04/2002

I am considering purchacing a 645 1000s (£280 - Body/55mm/case/manual/additional film holder). The camera I have found is in completly mint condition - I do not think a roll has been used so I am very interest in purchasing since this will be my introduction to Medium format.
<br>
<br>The issue I have is, upon inspection of the lens there were what I would describe as water marks on one internal lens (possible a breakdown of the coating).....any comments? I have asked the vendors to run a roll through to see the results - I think I would buy the unit anyway since the body is untouched and in good working order - there are some bits of foam from the light seal around the lens and film end falling off but I think this could be easily rectified.

Smpat18's Response to DAnthony Quintyne III.'s Review

Written on: 13/01/2007

I think so, but only if there's a reasonable return policy. The fact that you get all that stuff with the camera is meaningless if the camera isn't in excellent working condition. It shouldn't have any deficits, including cosmetics (paint loss and dings etc. It should work like a new camera and have some type of warranty.
<br/>

<br>(2) rubber lens hoods;
<br>extention tubes #1 and #3;
<br>(1) metered prism
<br>(1) non-metered prism;
<br>various filters for black and white film;
<br>soft focus filter;
<br>polarizer filter;
<br>motor drive;
<br>Ambico lens shade with adaptor;
<br>chimney view finder with magnifier;
<br>Mamiya prism magnifier for critical focusing;
<br>waterproof Lowepro case with internal camera case.
<br>
<br>The guy is selling this for $950 - is that a good price?