Citibank Internet Banking www.citibank.com Review

GregoryJ16's review of Citibank Internet Banking www.citibank.com

“If you are seriously considering opening any bank...”

Written on: 09/02/2008 by GregoryJ16 (1 review written)

Nice APY on savings accounts

Very dishonest, poor customer service

General Comments
If you are seriously considering opening any bank account with Citibank, read this story. I opened an Ultimate Money Account (a high-yield savings account) and an EZ-Checking Account with Citibank. I put $850 into both accounts via electronic checks from my existing checking account. Within 3 business days, there was $850 in both accounts according only to Citibank. Since my existing checking account had been slow before to show a balance change, I thought everything was fine. 4 days later I buy $40.17 of items using the check card Citibank sent me. I check my balance in both accounts after the purchase and both accounts had zero balances. Since it was late at night, I waited until tomorrow to call Citibank. When tomorrow came, both accounts were overdrawn and Citibank wanted me to pay them returned electronic check fees. The first time I called to complain I got some lady who couldn't speak English very well and wanted to blame their mess on me so she could get off the phone. I mentioned closing the accounts and the phone went dead immediately. I call again and after going through the answering service the phone again goes dead without letting me speak to anybody. I call again and once again get someone who spoke poor English and after a lot of complaining I got rid of the electronic check fees and am in the process of closing both accounts. But, I have to pay them $40.17 to cover the purchase that they botched and take a hit to my credit score. All I get for compensation is $0.39 interest. Pathetic. If you don't want to risk losing your money, your good credit score, and your hair, DO NOT open a bank account with Citibank.

• 0 - 6 Months

Used service for

Rosco12724's Response to 344173_GregoryJ16's Review

Written on: 22/03/2009

Could not have put it better myself, dreadful website, apalling customer service, incompetant staff.
<br/>
<br/>The staff at the call centre do not want to listen and want to pin the blame on the customer. My Citbank account in the UK was closed by me after seven days as my experience with them was so poor.

Sirobert's Response to 344173_GregoryJ16's Review

Written on: 24/03/2009

Egg is part of the Citibank group. My own review of my Egg experience is on this site.