Tom Tom One Review

• Clarity of Instructions

• Map Accuracy

BobTech's review of Tom Tom One

Tom Tom One

“I bought the Tomtom ONE V3 to replace my faithful...”

Written on: 26/01/2008 by BobTech (27 reviews written)

Excellent graphics and very intuitive touch-screen user interface. Extremely sensitive satellite receiver. Voice directions are very concise and given in plenty of time. Its high-quality sound can be turned up very loud without distortion. Very fast route (re)calculation and screen updates. Many options for easily adjusting the route to bypass heavy traffic etc. The PC-installed Tomtom Home program makes updating and configuring the unit very easy.

The suction mount tends to keep letting go of the windscreen, causing serious driver distraction and possibly damaging the unit if it hits something on the way to the floor. In common with many other GPS units, the screen is very difficult to see in direct sunlight even at full brightness, and almost impossible to see through polarised sunglasses at any time. Even when turned down to '0%', the night-time screen brightness can still be too high.

General Comments
I bought the Tomtom ONE V3 to replace my faithful Garmin GPSMap 60CS (reviewed here) which was stolen out of my car.
Tomtom claims you can use the unit straight out of the box, which turned out to be true. Without reading the instructions, I was able to easily enter an address and have it directly take me there without any problems. It's a very easy, intuitive GPS navigator to use.
It hasn't once failed to accurately navigate me to my destination. I've entered lots of Favourites and given it quite a workout. I'm very impressed by the Tomtom ONE V3 and I highly recommend it.
I expected to keep hitting the wrong keys on its small touch-screen keyboard when entering place names etc, and was surprised that this isn't a problem.
I asked an optometrist about the really annoying problem of not being able to see the screen properly through polarised sunglasses. To cut a long story short, I bought a plastic GPS Screen Protector and attached it, and now the screen's fully viewable through my Polaroid sunglasses.
Now I only need to figure out how to stop that suction mount from letting go, without leaving a ring on the glass which tells the criminals that a GPS navigator might be in the car.

• Australia

Area Covered

• Speed/red light camera warnings. Volume optionally

What extra features are on this model?

• Clarity of Instructions