Yamaha RBX-170 Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

Guest's review of Yamaha RBX-170

Yamaha RBX-170

“Considering the price, you are getting a bargain. ...”

Written on: 15/01/2008

Seriously easy to play. For a beginner or for someone moving from guitar to bass, this is just what you need. No dead spots on the fretboard and the action is nice and low. You can get a pretty good mix of tones out of this bass if you play about for a bit. You get a full 2-octave fretboard (24 frets!), which are all easy to get to. Seems to stay in tune for ages!

The nut where the lead plugs in can come loose after repeated plugging/unplugging - nothing some thread locking compound or maybe an extra nut wouldn't fix.

General Comments
Considering the price, you are getting a bargain. This bass is really easy to pick up and play all night, which is what I find myself doing. It's just so playable, much better set up than my old guitar ever was. If I ever needed to upgrade, I would definitely consider putting some proper decent pickups in this bass rather than buy another. Sustain could be better on occasions I suppose, but I can't call it bad by any stretch of the imagination.

There are no dead spots on the fretboard and the action is nice and low. You can get a pretty good mix of tones out of this bass if you play about for a bit. You get a full 2-octave fretboard (24 frets!), which are all easy to get to. Seems to stay in tune for ages!

As a bass beginner and as someone defecting from guitar it's everything I could ask for, and the quality is excellent for the price. On the whole, I love this bass.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Intermediate

Reviewer's Musical Standard