Yuko Japanese Hair Straightening Review

Guest's review of Yuko Japanese Hair Straightening

Yuko Japanese Hair Straightening

“I've had some bad experiences having my hair...”

Written on: 04/01/2008

Super straight, soft, silky, and shiny
Never have to use straightening iron ever again!
Low-maintenance afterwards

- Process can take about 4-7 hours depending on how long, thick, and coarse your hair is
- Lasts about 4-6 months depending on how fast your hair grows. If you're lucky, it can last up to a year before people start questioning you on why your top half is wavy/curly/frizzy,etc. while your bottom half is still pin-straight.
- Retouching is expensive and is the same price you paid the first time you've had your hair TS'd
- sometimes hard-to-find professional stylists that are expert in JHS/JTS (Japanese Thermal Straightening) and offer good customer service

General Comments
I've had some bad experiences having my hair straightened at my friend's salon. Even though the product came from the Japan (which is a definite plus), she did not know how to handle it well and put the solution way too close to my hairline, causing me to have so much breakage and loss of bangs.

But when I had my hair straightened at a salon in Singapore, oh my my did they do such a wonderful job to my hair! It was soft, silky, and shiny just like what my friend did to my hair, except without the frizzy ends and breakage! I finally had the hair of my dreams! They were even nice enough to let me know what products I should use for my hair for some Thermal Straightening aftercare, and they even sold to me some Kerasilk products as a starter. All my friend ever did was tell me to keep using my current shampoo and conditioner.

I didn't even have to use straightening iron to straighten my frizzed ends, since I had none! There weren't supposed to be any in the first place. My newly permastraight hair is just like what I expect it to be.

The cost was cheaper too! Only $110 in Singapore dollars (I found out later that there was another salon a few blocks away offering $120 SGD for their Arrow Straight system, but the salon I went to still did a wonderful job at a cheaper price. If only I can remember the name!) I'd love to have my hair retouched if I ever have the chance again to vacation in Singapore!

Nevertheless, I think the safest choice would be to go to your nearest Chinatown and get your hair done there, since it is cheaper and not ridiculously overpriced. Or, go to any Asian salon if there is now Chinatown near you. If not, at least be careful to find any professional stylist that not only knows the product and what brands are the best (original Japan ones are the best obviously), but that the stylist also knows how to HANDLE the product. Do some research on Thermal Straightening before going to a salon, and make sure to ask the stylist some questions about it and how long they have had experience on TS.

(Note that in Singapore and some other Asian salons, they call the process 'rebonding' or 'thermal rebonding' instead of 'Japanese hair straightening', 'thermal hair straightening', etc. so if you do plan on going to an Asian salon instead, they rebdoning)

Pepperonicheese's Comment

Written on: 08/08/2008

Hello,
<br/>Thankyou your review was very helpful! Do you remember the name of the salon that you went to in Singapore?