Palm Tungsten E Review

• Screen Quality

• Battery Life

Good Buy hunter's review of Palm Tungsten E

Palm Tungsten E

“A long time user of a Palm Vx, but lack of backlight...”

Written on: 25/10/2003 by Good Buy hunter (1 review written)

Excellent backlit colour screen
Excellent for use with Office Files
MP3 Player
Compact size, low weight and very smart.

None really - other than being very new accessories are limited

General Comments
A long time user of a Palm Vx, but lack of backlight was becoming a problem. I've been using it for two weeks now. I actually bought my Palm Tungsten E in Florida and when I got back found it had alreay been announced here in UK at about £145, I paid slightly less in USA but had to buy a voltage convertor so about the same price overall.

I use the Palm for all diary work and notes. Previous lack of decent Office sogtware meant I had to convert files to Notes. Now I can transfer files directly. It's certainly most efficient to use the To Go file format as it makes opening large files much quicker - it makes no difference to the displayed format. Although the screen is superb, navigating a 1.5MB Excel file (multiple worksheets, etc) can be slow but it does mean I can actually look up info. Small files no problem. Word files are fine, likewise PowerPoint. Best of all I can create or amend and send back to my PC and retain formatting.

The MP3 player works fine though you need an MMC/SD card. 128MB cards will give you two hours of MP3 or vast file storage, but with about 28MB free on the PDA that's lilkely to cover all your basic data needs.

All in all this is a natural upgrade from Vx at half the price but with lots of extras. For business use this is a bargain.

• Battery Life