Ford Cougar V6 24v Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Ode.'s review of Ford Cougar V6 24v

“The Ford Cougar has fantastic style, definitely one of...”

Written on: 29/08/2001 by Ode. (1 review written)

Style, performance, fast cornering, sound, equipment.

Rear space, rearward visibility, TOO QUIET!

General Comments
The Ford Cougar has fantastic style, definitely one of the most eyecatching shapes on the road (especially in black). Great V6 performance and engine note, superb handling on fast sweepers, loads of grip and when you do take too many liberties it lets you drift easily. Plenty of room inside too (in the front). Also excellent headlamps, useful for making the most of empty roads at night!

On the downside, and these are only minor whinges, it could be more economical when taking it easy, I average 27mpg. Needs careful handling in tight corners, you have to remember it is a fairly big car. Space in the back a little tight if your passengers are taller than 5'8". The exhaust is too quiet, manufacturers need to let their sports cars sing a little more.

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

6147_Jane.'s Response to Ode.'s Review

Written on: 21/11/2001

very helpful, I am looking to purchase a ford cougar and this review has only increased my desire.

Silvercapri1's Response to Ode.'s Review

Written on: 11/12/2004

I pick up my black V6 Cougar on Monday and having read this review I'm really looking foward to it.
<br>I've driven Capri's for the last 7 years and have enjoyed the thrills and some of the spills me and my Capri's have had, but now I need a younger replcement as my commute to work is about to get a lot longer and at 18 years old my Capri is due for a rest. I wanted something with a blue oval on its bum and the same excitement under the bonnet that a capri can give, I think I've found it in the Cougar.

34648_G.'s Response to Ode.'s Review

Written on: 24/08/2002

I agree about pushing the car... cougars can handle very well, but they're not porsches. Spend a bit of money on them and they can be on par with porsches, evos and scoobees, thats part of the beauty of them. I've had mine 5 months now and love it, I would like to get a true thoroughbred sports car within the next year, but I'll still keep my cougar, one idea is to have it converted to a convertable and slap a turbo in the bay, bit of a project car. One thing I would say is that I would recomend a cougar and you'll notice, the majority of comments and reviews are very positive, that speaks for itself...

33192_Doug.'s Response to Ode.'s Review

Written on: 14/08/2002

check out
<br>
<br>www.ukcougar.com the website of the free (and ever growing) UK Cougar club. The chap who runs this is extremely enthusiastic and it is developing into a great club and site.
<br>
<br>The forums on www.fastcougar.com contain a wealth of info / discussions and for an internet discussion group it is very friendly - ask a question and someone on their will help out.
<br>Doug.

33092_Rowan.'s Response to Ode.'s Review

Written on: 13/08/2002

Excellent review and most comments, would agree Cougars are fantastic cars in the right hands. Had mine for 6 months now and can't complain at all. Shame they don't make them in this country anymore. If anyone knows of any Cougar clubs/meets or where you can get replacement accessories, etc please post them here so I can see them! All those who are thinking of getting a Cougar, what are you waiting for, a lot of car for a little money.

12367_Whitty.'s Response to Ode.'s Review

Written on: 10/02/2002

Nice review.
<br>
<br>Has anyone had any problems. Read Whitty's review and please comment.

10294_Doug.'s Response to Ode.'s Review

Written on: 22/01/2002

There are few interesting comments on this review.
<br>To The Dude - sorry to hear about your brother in law, but blaming a Cougar for having too much oversteer of all things is ridiculous. If you crash for a reason like that it is because you're pushing it a bit too far - sad but true.
<br>To Bluebird - I switched from a Probe to a V6 Cougar at the end of 2001. There is no comparison - I enjoyed the Probe when I had it but the Cougar is better in every way, not least the fact you can insure a V6 Cougar for less than a 16V Probe. Also apart from tires, most of the consumable parts will be cheaper to replace than the Probe which was the biggest money pit I've owned. It does use lots of petrol, but if you buy a Cougar V6 and that takes you by surprise theres something wrong.

7344_Bluebird.'s Response to Ode.'s Review

Written on: 15/12/2001

I am looking t replace my 24v Probe soon and have been thinking about a Cougar........ So far it seems good.

6918_Ode.'s Response to Ode.'s Review

Written on: 07/12/2001

Glad the review has tempted others to try this well-underrated car! Even though someone has had a tragic accident in one, I stand by my rating of the car, if you take liberties in ANY car you risk coming off second best, it's unfair to blame the Cougar for that. I've pushed mine very, very hard on some badly surfaced roads, and it's never done anything I'd consider to be a handling flaw. As long as you recognise the cars and your own limits, you'll be OK. And yes, on those spirited drives (usually racing my mates on motorbikes!) the economy will sink to scary new lows (6 "laps" of the cat&fiddle pass in Buxton almost keeping pace with a CBR600, I averaged just a tad over 8mpg!!!!). It will return over 30mpg on a steady motorway drive though.

6867_Dave D.'s Response to Ode.'s Review

Written on: 07/12/2001

I am collecting mine today. Very much looking forward to driving this impressive looking car.

6765_Topcat.'s Response to Ode.'s Review

Written on: 05/12/2001

Good review, although my MPG averages more like 22 - the car is thirsty when you're mostly commuting back and forth to work on back roads. I don't think the performance is as good as is possible for a 2.5 V6, but the handling is excellent. You can't compare this with Porsche and if you push it so far you kill yourself then thats bad driving - not the car at fault.

6719_Mac.'s Response to Ode.'s Review

Written on: 04/12/2001

just ordered one today hope this review like the others is correct. gonna be mighty unhappy if not as i gotta keep it for 3 years.

6274_The Dude.'s Response to Ode.'s Review

Written on: 25/11/2001

Just one comment for Jane to consider - on the day you posted your message my brother-in-law was killed in a Ford Cougar - too much oversteer caused him to loose it on a smooth right hand bend.
<br>
<br>Ford do not make sports cars - you will be better off spending your money on a second hand Porsche.