Ikea Sultan Hamno Review

charlessamuellang's review of Ikea Sultan Hamno

“I first bought the Sultan Hustad mattress, and for the...”

Written on: 19/11/2007 by charlessamuellang (1 review written)

I first bought the Sultan Hustad mattress, and for the first week I thought it was about the most comfortable mattress I had slept on. For me it turned out to be too soft, and you can sort of tell that the Hustad is the bare minimum in some way. It hardly supports you. So I took it back to IKEA and they allowed me to return it very easily, after having had it for two months (though I did have the original bag and the receipt, and it should be said: they only allow you to return a mattress for exchange one time. This is reasonable, I think, because I guess they have to throw the used mattress away). Anyway, I got the Hamn now, for less than 100 dollars more -- for a queen rather than a full size -- and it is MUCH better. I'm totally happy with the Hamno; it seems to offer ideal support but is soft at the same time. You can really tell the difference between a mattress with traditional springs and the pocket springs; with the pocket springs you don't have the feeling that there is a sort of metal structure underneath you. It seems like the sections are more independent. One thing that made a big difference for me, to my surprise, was upgrading the sheet I was using on it. At first I was using the 10-dollar (cheapest) sheet from IKEA, and then I put on the more tightly-woven, linen-like 20-dollar sheet (bottom sheet) and it just made the mattress feel softer. I really feel like I got a good deal on this mattress. I recommend it. (Also, I must say I'm slightly suspicious that some independent mattress retailer is loading this page with bad reviews... but who knows, of course).