Beeman R1 Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

Marlon James's review of Beeman R1

“Ah yes, The R-1. Funny I find it uncomfortable saying...”

Written on: 11/11/2007 by Marlon James (9 reviews written)

The R-1 .177 is about as good as it gets. The stock is a dark stain satin dull finish, the check piece and rise are perfectly formed. How do they mass produce this consistency? The grip on the stock shows checkering and the swell fills my palm naturally and is capped with a white lined beveled grip cap. The finish on the metal are perfect, there are no sharp edges, all the machine lines are surgically blended, fit and function are smooth. The receiver cap is massive and the line blending the cap and receiver is microscopic. How do they surgically machine everything to fit so well? Power and accuracy are dreamy. There are after market upgrades that are available for the advanced hobbyist. The R-1 will digest most if not all well made pellets. Performance is exciting.

I understand that an R-1 starts at $700.00 in some places in America, a brand new model. No scope or mounts, no super tuning, no muzzle brake, no shoulder strap or quick detachable sling. There is a super tune for The R-1 at an additional cost before you know it BAM over $1000.00 bucks, dollars, smackers, green backs, your girl or wife finds out and your divorced or alone with your Beeman R-1.

General Comments
Ah yes, The R-1. Funny I find it uncomfortable saying "The Beeman R-1" because in our reviews and forums we heavily critique the Beeman trade name. I purchased my R-1 in 1984, I have my receipt in my files, I'm sure She's about 23 years old. I bought her for about $250.00 in San Rafael when they ran their shop themselves. I purchased one of the original Beeman Blue Ring Scope in 2-9 x 32 AO/TT and custom mounts a scope stop, super then a laser tune. The rig and set up has remained entact since 1984. An occasional trip to an airsmith has kept it in pristeen conditon. With sentimental wear only evident. Accuracy is a dream. Aspirins at 17 yards, 100's of bullseyes within a dime gets boring.
In my garden The R-1 will put down the grey ground squirrels, red or blue squirrels, with head or torso shots humanely and instantly. My garden is approximately 17 yards long. with an area of 30 x 15 yards. So within those parameters I am able to dispatch varmints. In .177 placement is important when targeting small pests or quarry. For those who measure a gun by what it can do to a can, a can not an aluminum one but a can coffee or heavy tin, the R-1 will go in & out 17 yards using prometheus, raptor, sabot with copper pellets. Oh yeah baby. we've all done it... shoot anything and everything that we can find.
For me it's my "go to gun". Reliable dependable a sure thing.
But what concerns me are the new young shooters who have to purchase a Beeman R-1 for pert near $1200.00 American dollars. But how do we as shooters invest in reaching newcomers when R-1's guns of similar quality and caliber are priced for the rich, well off or retired like me who have nothing better to do. I read some articles we have written an commonly entry level shooters are apt to succumb to price and over look the investment of quality and workmanship.
Having my R-1 has been a fortunate experience in that everything that I have done with it has worked well. From point of aim, shot placement, impact safety and handling of firearms. But I'm just one person with good luck. There are lemons out there. So pick a company that honors returns and refunds. Built on consistent quality and workmanship. You may have to pay a little more. But you'll get a lifetime of fun. Show me a gun these days that has the potential to last 23 years. Heck I have an old pump Benjamin from 1966 that has bluing worn to the natural color of the metal with seals that can hold 15 pumps and put a whacking on anything it smacks.
In comparison to other guns; there are similarities some more powerful, but each has it's own aesthetic and quality for more or less power.
In my opinion the expensive Beeman R-1 .177 in 2007 edges others out just enough for a new shooter to invest in.
We are all fickle. We all want power, accuracy, looks, price, value and are forever comparing RWS 350 to R-1 to HW 97MKIII to .177 or .22 To Gamo to Crosman Remington or Winchster, Cabela's or Pyramid, Umarex or Weirach on and on and on. comparing how it will punch a paper target or can or pest. Which is best?
So study, compare, read reviews, check pricing and try not to be consumed with buyers remorse syndrome.
So Happy Shooting, Peace I'm out.

• Accuracy

• Handling

Marlon James's Response to Marlon James's Review

Written on: 03/01/2008

Attention Readers;
<br/>The $1200.00 comment on the cost of a Beeman R-1 is the dollar amount for a fully customized gun in the '80's. Muzzle break, quick detachable shoulder sling, 3-9x32mm AO/TT, scope stop & mounts, trigger shoe, super tune, laser tune, select stock. The current dollar cost or values for an R-1 is most likely higher for 2008 to outfit.

Pcp4Me's Response to Marlon James's Review

Written on: 31/08/2013

Ok. it is now August 2013, and a brand spanking new R1 in .20 caliber is $685 from the biggest air gun dealer in the nation.

This does not include any options, tuning, or a scope and mount, ldc or sling swivels, bipods, etc. So $1200 is not a stretch, as you can easily pay $600 for a scope and mounts, so it is not unachievable. In fact, with tunes by a master tuner, and other possible upgrades and accessories, you might even hit $1800 to $2000!

Marlon James's Response to Marlon James's Review

Written on: 14/04/2008

Dual Mag Mike,
<br/>I agree the R-1 does not cost $1,200. It is about half that as a base gun around $600.+/- (In current day pricing) w/no upgrades in scope and mounting, custom muzzle break, trigger shoe, quick detachable swivels and lings, refinishing the stock, back then Beeman offered a Laser Super Tune. In 1986 I paid $280.00 for my stock blemished R-1.
<br/>And I agree, those new lighter alloy pellets are not good to use all the time, the piston slams a little harder and basically tough on the gun.
<br/>Because I want variety, they are fun to shoot and use on things. I use a different pellet for different purposes, depending on what I'm gonna do. Target, plink, varmints that do damage or long range silhouette. For these old eyes and hands that tremble, I use an RWS 4-12x50mm 30mm tube TT/AO dual illuminated reticle, and for me trying to shoot 30 yards is hard without benching it.
<br/>By the time I finished with all the setup I spent about that much between 1986 and '88. My R-1, functions exceptionally well, despite any other name you call it. HW in my reasoning stands with Diana, RWS, Webley Scott, Air Arms in consistency of quality.
<br/>Now my next step is to find a reputable gunsmith that can re-blue and refinish and polish the receiver. I wonder is I'll loose my laserizing?
<br/>But That's what's great about our sport. The guns are versatile and can digest almost any pellet with reasonable performance results that can be adjusted by proper pellet choice or tuning. Some sessions I've put a beating my guns and they hold up well. Happy Shooting.

Dual Mag Mike's Response to Marlon James's Review

Written on: 21/03/2008

I found this review unhelpful because... Beeman R1's are no where near $1200 US dollars (they are actually about half that). Most .177 pellets should go right through a coffee or soup can at 17 yards. Sabot pellets or any ultra light pellets like the Raptors are too light for normal use with Magnum airguns which the R1 is considered. The ultra light weight does not provide enough back pressure to the piston. Why would anyone feel uncomfortable calling a gun by its rightful name. It's not an HW80 as they came after the R1?