Nokia 5210 Review

• Reception

• Style

Ed's review of Nokia 5210

Nokia 5210

“The 5210 is the first Nokia Mobile phone I've had,...”

Written on: 12/08/2003 by Ed (1 review written)

Does not show age too quickly
Case can be replaced
Clear ringtones

Ringtones difficult to compose
Signal meter only has 4 bars

General Comments
The 5210 is the first Nokia Mobile phone I've had, after always choosing Alcatel models in the past. The main reason I wanted this model is the fact that it claims to be virtually indestructable.

I find most other models I have had seem to show thair age very quickly, mainly due to general wear from being carried in a pocket with money or keys etc., but the rubber case on this model is much more robust, and in any case can be replaced if it does start to look worn.

The ringtones on this phone are much easier to hear than on many I've used, and there is a sufficient choice of tones. However, I donb't like the fact that if you happen to want to change the ring tone, you have to change it individually for all of your profiles, which can be a bit time consuming. The composer is rather difficult to use, compared to the version on Alcatel phones, which displays the tune in correct musical notation, rather than the ASCII codes used on the Nokia. I also never understood why the cursor moves the opposite way to the button you press. Is this a software bug?

On the main screen, the signal and battery meters are very easy to see, but the signal meter is less precise than I would expect, having only four bars rather than the five I thaught all phones had until I saw this one. The clock, when enabled, is rather small, and there is no option to show the date on the main screen. I would have thaught that it would be easier to use the main menu if it had multiple items on the screen at once, rather than a single item with a fancy animation, but I guess this is personal choice.

One feature I miss from the Alcatel is the ability to automatically store sent text messages, but I am getting used to not having it now. Also, the multi-field directory was useful, but I think that is just an Alcatel invension, and am not suprised it doesn't exist on the Nokia.

Overall, I'd say that this is a well designed phone.