Leica Minilux Zoom Review

• Photograph Quality

Jan Onshuus's review of Leica Minilux Zoom

“I hoped this would function as an easy to carry-around...”

Written on: 14/09/2007 by Jan Onshuus (1 review written)

The lens is superb. Build quality of exterior excellent, interior not worthy of the Leica name. The photos are generally good when used in situations the camera/film can handle.

The shutter is unsatisfactory, minimum shutter speed is 250/sec. This means that I can not use the high speed films needed for interior settings when moving to sunny daylight exposures because the automatic shutter and aperture settings cannot handle the extra light, Result: overexposed photos. So I have to use two cameras, one with fast film + one with 100ASA. My camera seems to have a software problem with the connection from the shutter to the film transport. Too often, I have to reset the camera a couple of times until it will function. Leica quality? Too many pictures are lost. I bought this camera because my ContaxT stopped working after many years of faithful service. This Leica is definitely not reliable. It seems to be a camera produced to sell with the Leica name but without the quality build and production control of the M-series.

General Comments
I hoped this would function as an easy to carry-around replacement for my other Leicas and Canon SLR. I also made a gross mistake by overlooking the totally unsatisfactory 250/s shutter speed before buying. This is a Leica that I cannot recommend because it lacks the essential functions and is too unreliable. The old Minox GT is far more trustworthy. Maybe it's time for a digital?

• Over 1 Year

Time Camera Owned