Square & Compass, North Rigton, Harrogate Review

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

nrg710's review of Square and Compass, North Rigton, Harrogate

“I don't understand these people who have good things...”

Written on: 20/08/2007 by nrg710 (1 review written)

The building itself is clean, well presented, and the layout is very good. I especially like the snug at the back: "no children or food".

The service, and the time it took the food to arrive was shocking, especially considering that the restaurant wasn't even half full.

General Comments
I don't understand these people who have good things to say about the food or the service at the Square and Compass in North Rigton. I would have rather gone to Burger King last Friday (17th August 2007). The "waitress" didn't so much show us to our table as point us in the right direction. When reading out the specials from a piece of paper in her hand, she couldn't read the chef's writing, so I helped her read it.

I could wax lyrical about the rest of it: about how the Lamb Henry was dry (albeit tasty); a "rare" steak was overcooked (and, to add insult to injury, was cold); and about waiting 45 minutes for our main courses, but to be honest... it's not worth it.

The one good point about the food was that my black pudding with bacon mash starter was quite nice. Although, for £6.50, you'd hope so!

• Gastro

Food Type

• Under £5

Average cost per head

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Quiet/Refined