Infinity Alpha 50 Review

• Sound Quality

Matt.'s review of Infinity Alpha 50

Infinity Alpha 50

“I recently purchased a pair of these, mostly based on...”

Written on: 30/07/2003 by Matt. (1 review written)

Excellent midrange, vocals, clarity. Good looks.

Weak bass performance.

General Comments
I recently purchased a pair of these, mostly based on recommendations from reviews I've read. I was quite excited to be hooking them up to my 75 watt x 2 Harmon Kardon HK 3375 receiver, but, only for a moment. Although the mids and highs were clear and natural, as anticipated, the lows were very weak and light. Upon switching back and forth between the Alpha 50's and my old speakers, which are half the price of the Alpha 50's, my wife and I both agreed that although the Alpha 50's had a noticeably better high end, they lacked too much in the low end. In conclusion,I will say that if you are someone who enjoys a nice bass punch and deeper tones from your woofers, you will not be happy with these Infinity's. A more powerful amp, 100 watts x 2 or more, helps the woofers to throw better, but, not enough to satisfy one who enjoys good, deep bass punch.

Kregear3's Response to 120119_Matt.'s Review

Written on: 28/01/2004

for good bass you need more watts, these speakers are incredible hooked up to my onkyo 801.

Icerocket's Response to 120119_Matt.'s Review

Written on: 13/12/2004

Some people are such idiots! These speakers along with any tower speakers in this day and age are meant to be used with a SUBWOOFER. The woofers of the Alpha 50's lack the "punch" your talking because they were designed to sound clear and be heard, not just felt. The bass they put out is by far better than just about any speakers in the same price range and even comparable to speakers costing more than $1,000. I liked these so much that i bought a second pair! I don't care what anyone else says but I know they will sound even better over time. After "breaking in" my first pair I noticed tighter/deeper bass and less clipping at high volume levels. Even the mids and highs sounded noticably cleaner with more detail. When I got my second pair I couldn't believe how held back they sound was after owning the first pair for about 6 months. All it takes is a good 15 to 20 hours of decent volume levels and the sound will naturally become louder, cleaner, and deeper. This is common with a lot of high end speakers on the market that the average auido fan is not aware of. Give your speakers a chance before giving a review and for Christ's sake hook up a nice Subwoofer to these Alpha 50's and you'll be blown away by the sound they produce.

Ro's Response to 120119_Matt.'s Review

Written on: 09/02/2004

I have critically listened to the Infinity Alpha 50s on several occasions vs the Klipsch 35s and 3IIs, similar priced Def Techs, and more expensive KEFs. Using a very good receiver each time (Yamaha 2400 or Denon 3803),and keeping tones flat and adjusting volumes to be equal,the Alphas were clear and not fatiguing when listening to female voices or brass instruments at loud volumes (the Klipsch pairs were clear but fatiquing and didn't go as deep). Def Techs had a wider sound stage but were too boomy/not tight with base. The KEFs were close but not as crisp and several hundred dollars more. Although I did not A-B them, to me the Alpha 50s compare well the the Paradigm 40s & 60s. All of these speakers are very good midpriced models that you should audition yourself with music you know and get what you enjoy the most (and stay within budget).