Becker Traffic Assist HighSpeed 7934 Review

• Clarity of Instructions

• Map Accuracy

Lieuallen's review of Becker Traffic Assist HighSpeed 7934

Becker Traffic Assist HighSpeed 7934

“I purchased a Becker Traffic Assist Highspeed 7934 on...”

Written on: 07/08/2007 by Lieuallen (1 review written)

Affordable, easy to use, NAVTEQ maps, integrated antenna.

No text-to-speech, manual sometime needs better translation.

General Comments
I purchased a Becker Traffic Assist Highspeed 7934 on August 1, 2007. I wanted a reliable, user-friendly and inexpensive device, and I am delighted with my Becker.

After considering units from a number of different manufacturers (Bushnell NAV500, Dual XNav 3550, FineDrive FD400, GPSmile52, Lowrance 250c, Magellan 3000T, Mio C310, NavMan iCN 330, Pharos 135 and more), I selected the Becker as the best combination of quality, features and price. It's got just about everything you could want in a GPS unit; the only exceptions I'm aware of are text-to-speech (for announcing the name of the street, rather than a generic "turn left") and a list of directions for review prior to driving. Those features just don't seem to be available for less than $400 or so.

Otherwise, the Becker has everything I want and need. Good quality NAVTEQ map data (preloaded with all of North America (including Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico), easy to use interface, and plenty of options to make the unit work the way I want.

I think what impresses me most is how quickly the unit acquires a GPS lock (just a few seconds after the unit's initial calibration), how quickly the map updates during driving, how quickly the unit calculates a new route when you take a wrong turn (or try a new shortcut!), and the fact that with all of the maps loaded you still have 500 MB free for MP3s and pictures.

While driving, the maps are clear, the turns are easily seen, and the voice prompts give you plenty of time (turns are announced 2 or 3 times to give you plenty of room to get into the proper lane). You get your choice of 2D or 3D maps, and I still can't decide which I prefer (you can quickly and easily switch between them if you like). You also get the option of displaying your speed and altitude, along with an indication of North. Also, maps can be displayed along your line-of-sight, or with North always up. You are free to zoom in and out during navigation, but the unit itself does a great job of automatically zooming depending on your speed (slower speeds zoom in, to allow you to see more detail).

There are plenty of "points of interest", and it's easy to find those near your current location, or at any location you specify (so you can set them as your destination).

You can also listen to MP3 (or WMA) files while navigating (or after you reach your destination!). I've found that the sound quality is excellent, but the volume just isn't loud enough if you have the windows open. There is a headphone jack, but wearing headphones while driving is a no-no!

Seemingly unique to Becker units, the GPS antenna is built-in to the housing itself -- there is no little plastic thing sticking out of the back. Maybe not a major deal, but if you want to carry this unit with you while walking or travelling, it sure makes it easier to slip into a pocket.

I should also add that there is a "backdoor" that allows you to access Windows Mobile directly. I haven't done anything with this yet, but I assume that I could install programs onto the SD card, and run them, thereby turning my Becker Traffic Assist into a Windows-compatible pocket PC!

I highly recommend the Becker Traffic Assist Highspeed 7934.

• north america

Area Covered

• MP3 player, JPEG viewer

What extra features are on this model?

• Clarity of Instructions