Tom Tom One Europe Review

• Map Accuracy

jaqueja's review of Tom Tom One Europe

☆☆☆☆☆
Tom Tom One Europe

“You don't have to stay away from the Tom Tom product,...”

Written on: 07/08/2007 by jaqueja (1 review written)

The previous Tom Tom One that I had worked well until someone thought that they needed it worse than I did. So I bought another. Read the bad points below to see what happened. The top message is the latest and the bottom is the first. I never received a reply from them. Garmin here I come and lots of money poorer.

This is getting to be really annoying! I took the old Tom Tom One back to the store where I got it and picked up a brand new one. I checked that it worked before doing anything else and it did. It showed me right where I really was. THEN I did a really dumb thing and assumed that the software on the disk that you gave me would work and deliver an update to the device. It worked just fine! It must have sucked out the old working program and replaced it with one that does exactly what the old INOPERATIVE one did. NOTHING! The software that is Tom Tom Home says that no valid device is connected to the computer. It is the same device that WAS working before your software got to it. I have done nothing to the device except to turn it on, see that it worked, set my preferences and then brought up the software program. As soon as the computer program was up, something started to happen to my T/T One. The picture warned me not to unplug the T/T One and I did not. BUT it still froze. Checking it after I turned it off and unplugged it, I discovered that on turning it on, the exact same red circle with a white flashing "X" existed. Since I have heard nothing from you, I must assume that you are up to your wazoo in alligators with a product that everyone is having trouble with or that you simply do not care. At any rate, I will also return this one with a sheepish look on my face (after all, how likely is it that TWO devices from the same store are defective). If I am lucky enough for the merchant to accept my bad luck and your bad device, my next purchase will be a Garmin and I will warn everyone that I know away from your product!

This is totally unsatisfactory and no manufacturer that I know of would stay in business long with such things happening.

JJ

Customer 08/06/2007 01:48 PM
I look at my original frustrated comments and am confused as I am sure you are. I have owned a T/T One before and that was stolen in a break-in to may car. I thought that I knew what to do so I loaded the software on my laptop and looked for the SD card that I knew came with the Tom Tom. Nothing - so I said what the heck and took a spare 512 Mb card from my spares, inserted it and turned on the Tom Tom One on and it promptly gave me a picture of removing the SD card and a red "X." Pretty clear that it was not wanted. I re-looked at the package and sure enough, there was a small sticker saying that the SD card was not needed. OK, so I then take the card out and plug in and turn on the Tom Tom One. It refused to go any further than the "wait" screen. I tried turning it on unconnected to the computer and it refused to come up and gave me the red circle with a White flashing "x" in it. There it sits today with the same indications. Somehow, leaving the Tom Tom One plugged in and on during the software update and computer restart seems to have affected what it does and now I need to correct it or suffer a $300.00 mistake.

Customer 08/06/2007 01:13 PM
Your status says answered - not so. I have no email from you suggesting a solution. I have tried two machines with the Tom Tom Home loaded on then (both XP S/P 2) and neither machine will recognize the Tom Tom as anything but an unformatted drive. Yet, if I hold the reset in while starting the device, the flash memory comes up with white on black text showing a reset time and date in the year 2000. All looks normal except that the file alignment says not perfect. I do not want to format or do anything to that flash drive until and how you tell me to. When I turn on the Tom Tom One, the drum beat and logo come up along with a Tom Tom screen that also says wait in several languages. Then the "wait" words go away and the device just freezes with the Tom Tom screen showing it connected to the computer showing. Nothing I can do seems to change that and it never asks me if I want to connect to the computer. Assistance needed as I haven't a clue what to do now.

Jim

Customer 08/06/2007 03:13 AM
Resetting provided no help. I installed T/T Home and plugged in the device. While it was starting, a notification came up of a software update. I installed it and it called for a computer restart - which I did. After that the device (Tom Tom One) would do nothing. I came up with the Tom Tom screen, said wait, then just sat there doing nothing. I unplugged it from the computer and tried to turn it on and it came up with a red flashing "X." How do I make it work again and load the new software to it? I really needed it Monday morning and now a map will have to suffice. Unhappy!

General Comments
You don't have to stay away from the Tom Tom product, just do not use their update disk - which probably means no updates ever.

• USA

Area Covered

• It died before I could load them

What extra features are on this model?

• Clarity of Instructions