Stanwix Park Holiday Centre, Silloth Review

• Facilities

• Proximity to local amenities

• Proximity to local attractions

Andie40's review of Stanwix Park Holiday Centre, Silloth

“I booked us in at Stanwix Park Holiday Centre as a...”

Written on: 01/08/2007 by Andie40 (2 reviews written)

Kids entertainment was great. My wee guy really liked Foxy Fox. The indoor pool was brilliant and best of all, it was open until 9pm, so if you have been out touring all day you can still have a swim when you get back. There were bars for adults only and a separate entertainment area for the more mature. There was a fantastic bowling alley that lit up in the dark. Junior loved it! Staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. The lady on reception even phoned a pizza order for me on her own mobile. Bar prices were pretty normal. Park and caravan were both very clean and because of the hedges in between each row of caravans, you don't feel like you are staring in on your neighbours each time you look out of the window.

Silloth itself was a huge let down. The food on the park wasn't too great. I ordered a 5 inch pizza for my son from the Kids menu but it turned out to be one of those nasty little frozen affairs, probably from Asda. Even my son asked me if it was really that big! My mobile didn't work in that area due to the fact that there was no local mast and both phone boxes were for 999 calls only. The on site shop only accepted cash, they didn't have a switch machine and the only cash machine on site charged £2.50 for the privilege of withdrawing your own money!

General Comments
I booked us in at Stanwix Park Holiday Centre as a last minute weekend break through Hoseasons. I wouldn't recommend the local Chinese takeaway. I went in and ordered our meals and was still sitting there 1 hour 15 minutes later. Lots of people were coming in to collect and order, they were being told it wasn't ready. One person even commented that he, could have driven home to Glasgow for a takeaway and driven back to Silloth quicker! Local fish and chips were fabulous as was the Pizza. Silloth is described as being 20 miles from the Lake District. We went down to Bowness on Windermere for the day, it took us nearly 2 hours to drive there but it was well worth it. We also visited Maryport Aquarium, which was OK. It has a very nice kids play park, which was like a broken up pirate ship all made from wood. Lakeland Heavy Horse Centre was well worth the visit too. Food in their restaurant was excellent.