Weihrauch HW95 Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

Carlov's review of Weihrauch HW95

“Weihrauch having lightened off their traditionally...”

Written on: 31/07/2007 by Carlov (13 reviews written)

Light weight. Cocking effort not too great. Trigger is probably the best out of the box spring gun trigger there is. Consistency.

Stock design is dated (subjective I know.) "Twangy" recoil. Noisy firing cycle. Muzzle break makes it difficult to add a decent moderator without cutting. Pellet fussy.

General Comments
Weihrauch having lightened off their traditionally over engineered designs caught my eye with the 95k in .177 (4.5mm.) Always nice to have a back up for when the pneumatics let you down or you simply want the pleasure of old school plinking.

As all UK air rifle shooters should, I chronoed the rifle to check power levels. A respectable 11.4 ft/lb's with 7.9 Crossman Premiers, so worth taking to try and off a few rabbits too. I tried various other ammunition but none gave such favourable results. The consistency for a new rifle was good too, giving only 18 fps extreme spread over a test string of 10. This has settled to 12 fps now it's had a few tins of lead through it.

I matched the rifle quite poorly with a Leupold Vari X iv on account of it being the only scope I had small enough for the compact action. The trigger unit was the first thing that stuck out as note worthy. I have only experienced one other which was better on a spring gun, and also on a HW I hasten to add.

But, it quickly became obvious that technique is of the utmost importance with this little gun. The recoil twangs like guest house bedsprings and it tries to leap from the shoulder making replicating your grip critical to achieve any kind of a grouping. With this stock I am afraid that is just not possible. I believe the lightness of the engineering combined with the nondescript stock exaggerate the recoil. If it were heavier it would be far more manageable.

But then it is far from expensive and suitable for those of light build (which I am not.) One last thing, best to hit the target with the first shot when hunting because the report will ensure it's not there for the second one, even at 40 yards. Not so much the muzzle crack but the bouncing internals.

• Accuracy