Volkswagen Golf VR6 Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

warren.'s review of Volkswagen Golf VR6

“Ive owned many golfs and corrados before this but this...”

Written on: 23/07/2003 by warren. (1 review written)

Good build, nice looks, lovely noise with s/s exhaust, performance, high speed ride

heavy handling, can be thirsty, insurance

General Comments
Ive owned many golfs and corrados before this but this was my first VR6. The power made my old mk3 16V feel weak!! It humiliates most other standard hot hatches- especially when you get over 80- the large ammount of torque helps. The chip upgrade for this costs around £350 and takes power to 215bhp but ive heard nasty stories of MPG of around 10- 12 so im hanging fire for now!!! Insurance can be steep if your young- im paying 780 TPFT with HIC - VW specialists- 23 yr old, 2 yrs no claims 6 points. Handling is good and v. stable but all that weight up front means its no caterham!! Its nowhere near as chuckable as a mk2 or most other smaller engined hatchbacks.

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Bmw E30's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 13/09/2003

Am i the only one who is unsure about the 'chip upgrade' that can take power up from a standard 174bhp to 215???????????????????????

372596_Baldy Vw's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 09/06/2008

I think that, that darnallsheffield is sooo wrong! Maybe honda can get so much bhp out of a 1.6 but whereas the quality build??? nice v-tec! because they never go do they?! vw = quality engineering to last! honda is a quick Japanese piece of rubbish that loads of little 17yr olds have! whereas vr6's are rare amongst youngsters because they all follow a bent trend!!!

Written on: 16/07/2007

Well my gears screwed up 3 months after I bought my R reg VR6. The gears wouldn't stay in the gate and a replacement gear box was £600+. Pretty shocking to say the least, but thats the only problem I've had in 3 years. Good luck!

Sue Turner's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 15/07/2007

I've got an N reg VR6. I've got a problem with the gears. Gear 1 and 3 I have to 'poke in' to gear.
Is this a common problem, should I change the gearbox?

Liam8's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 25/04/2007

My fuel pumps just gone the one underneath the car it was peeing all over the place and I'm thinking of getting an uprated fuel pump and have just been quoted 105.10p all inclusive as I want a little more speed out of my beast I've had a cone put on and sounds but just like a v6 should but has any one got any advice on uprating the fuel pump or what else I should consider after I've done it any comments would be great.

Liam8's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 25/04/2007

I've got a 97 vr6 and the fuel pumps leaking petrol all over I'm after an uprated pump and have been told that VW do a motorsport pump for 105.10p all in / sounds good to me but do any of you have any better suggestions with nos or experiences with uprated pumps much obliged for any feed back.

Written on: 07/04/2006

I've just bought a Ram-Air Pro-Ram Induction kit for my VR6. It comes with a huge cone. Anyway I have replaced the original air box with this kit and the difference is noticeable immediately. It sounds just like a Subaru when I hit the throttle. Maybe it feels quicker because of the sound....however very slightly there is more pull when I reach about 3,500 to 4,000 revs in gears. The good thing is if you drive it sensibly you won’t get any headaches as the car sounds as it was originally, however put the pedal to the medal and it sounds like a beast. By the way the kit cost me around £110….I think it’s well worth it.

Ginner's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 02/04/2006

The r32 owner is so right and also the r32 is such a cool car - everybody has got an evo/scooby but the r32 is rare and nobody laughs at them. Take the r32 on a long run anywhere and you can drive it all day - you can't with the other two because after an hour you have to get out so you can get the circulation going in your legs again. If you want to impress teenagers then get an evo/scooby but if you want to impress everybody else get an r32 or any golf for that matter - it doesn't have to be the best/fastest car to be the coolest car.

Written on: 28/12/2005

excellent, thanks for the comments ill try and get it sorted in the next couple of weeks. I found the first 2,500 r/p/m sounds tinny in the cold but when it gets going i cant get enough of the v sound (expensive taste) but what the hell its fun!

Written on: 26/12/2005

Id deffo say the ramair kit sounds phat! It must be the very large one though!!! (forget what they call it)
<br>
<br>Exhausts hmmm, milltek are good, so are supersprint. Ive had 2 magnex systems and personally i think they are pants......

Written on: 25/12/2005

Get a Ram Air induction kit with the Ford Cosworth cone...it is much larger than the VR6 cone and sounds proper 'sick' (slang for great). It will require minor modification.

Written on: 23/12/2005

If you are purely after sound, get a miltek exhaust system with CAI air filter, not my cup of tea, but it will wake the dead on a VR, LOL.

Written on: 22/12/2005

on mine i fitted a k&n and also made a plastic l shape cover to stop as much hot air going in it as i can. i also fitted 2 2 inch diameter pipes from the vents at the bottom of the bumper to the air filter.its sounds hot and has stopped the lag you get when you just fit the filter straight on and leave it.its made the car very responsive.everytime i accelerate the noise it makes is cool mate. not to sure on any other filters

Written on: 17/12/2005

hi everyone i own a mk3 golf vr6 totally standard but want to mod with a filter and exhaust. Can anyone suggest the best sounding ones, not too bothered on the performance side of things. All comments much appreciated cheers

Written on: 21/10/2005

I have a mk3 2.9 Golf VR6 Syncro (4WD) and before that had 2 FWD Golf VR6's :-) The syncro has the same engine as the corrado but with OBD2 electronics, throttlebody ets etc
<br>I did have bridgestone Potenza pole position S02's before- these were also good but very expensive and i didnt think they rode as well as the Toyos- they transformed the handling of the car- i was well chuffed with the difference when i first took it out :-)

Written on: 20/10/2005

Do you have a golf vr then? cos the corrado vr has longer 1st and second I think.. but ye, T1-S very good, specially for value.

Written on: 20/10/2005

Toyo Proxes T1-S mate everytime! And very reasonably priced too :-)
<br>Probably better getting a remap rather than a chip fella as its specifically tailored to your car.

Written on: 19/10/2005

The VR6 engine definitely sounds fantastic. I am thinking of getting my car chipped. However, my car in standard form whenever I floor it especially in damp weather I cannot get all the power down as the car just spins in 1st and 2nd and in some cases 3rd. I think the car is very powerful in 1st and 2nd hence why the car spins the way it does. What tyres can you lads recommend to be the best in wet conditions?

Written on: 17/10/2005

Yes Supercharging is definitley a very cost effective thing to do if your looking for serious power, for a fitted kit you are looking at £3k, but you should be looking at 290bhp so worth it. If you get the VGI & Cams then I would say defo map it, but don't expect big gains, it is a n/a car after all, it's more to adjust the cars settings to reflect the mods that have been done. Plenty of 1.8T's have been done, but personally I prefer the characteristics of the VR.

Written on: 14/10/2005

If I changed the manifold and also the cam to get better torque, wouldn't it be worth chipping the car as well now the manifold and cam has been changed. Im having a browse at supercharges for the golf. I know they are a little pricey but do you reckon it would be worth it. I've even thought about putting the 1.8 turbs in and upping the torque and bhp. Can anyone shed some light on these suggestions plz. Much appreciated.

Written on: 14/10/2005

Golf VR's handle like boats though... of course you can set it up better, but then you can do that to a Corrado too, so will still be much better, but anyway.
<br>Do you really think an exhaust system will transform your valver? If so I'm afraid you will be very disappointed, my preference is the Magnex, as it is prob the subtlest system in terms of noise, and the CAI on the VR does sound amazing but is very tiresome and the noise above 4k is just too loud for my liking anyway.

Written on: 14/10/2005

Lads, you know whenever I floor my VR6, my MFA shows around 15mpg, and when I have more than 2 people in it it shows like 13mpg...I might as well buy a 'Hummer'. Anyone got any advice. People say that the Lamba sensor may need changing. Have any of you lot got some advice to give me on what to do to rectify this problem?

Written on: 14/10/2005

Hi SHIZNIT, after I had my previous Golf 16v on the rollers it was pushing out 147.5bhp as stated previously. I then ordered one of these 'Strove' induction kits from EUROTEK, who apparently import them from Holland as at the time it was hard to find induction kits for a 16valve Mk2. It cost around £130. I fitted it and it sounded great...it gave a great roar. I then later bought a 'Magnex' 4into1 branch manifold from 'Awesome’ for about £300+, and then a full 'Remus' Exhaust system from 'Elite'. I think I spent like over £1,000 on an exhaust system for a car that was worth about £1,000...but hey, I love my VW's it had to be done. I noticed a bit of an increase in power but not much. I did feel that the car ran better after it was tuned of course it felt as though power was traveling through the pipes more freely. The only downside was the actual level of the sound the exhaust gave off, it was too loud when I floored it, especially on motorways. The sound would have been great all the time if it was slightly less noisy. Maybe it would not have been so loud if I never had the manifold...I'm not sure. If you like cars that sound very loud then you may want to implement some of the above if not all, as long as you can handle loud noise.

Written on: 14/10/2005

I used to own a Corrado VR6 a few years back and that was more rapid than the Golf VR6 that I currently own after all it has 16bhp more and almost 1 second quicker to 60mph. But even in the Corrado 3rd gear was rubbish. I mean don't get me wrong pals, its just that you don’t get the same kick in 3rd as you get in 1st and 2nd gear of either the Corrado or Golf, if you know what I mean. I have always owned VW's from several Mk1 Golf Gti’s to Mk2's, Corrado VR6 and now a Golf VR6 Highline. Although these may not be the quickest cars in the world, it is the driving pleasure that makes me stick with these motors, they are good all round motors and built better than most Japanese and Ford motors. Speed does mean a lot to me, but its not everything.

Shiznit's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 13/10/2005

Hi pals, great I should get the paper work done by next week on the 16v. I have already decided its the one. Am now really thinking in making it a streetglow>>>>what do u advise on spark plugs, cold air intake, air filter and exhaust..I have a friend with a direct pipe exhaust which is not even street legal but its fast like hell, the only catch it's too lound so a nuisance, I want something with great sound but fast as well - am a speedboy!..please advise best brands in the market..the car is a virgin I need a lot of work on it..

Written on: 13/10/2005

16 valve mk2 is a much better drivers car than the corrado period - very small and nimble :-) And Sam your right - the valver does put out more torque than the 8v right thorugh the rev range.....
<br>However there isn't much in it between a Golf and a Corrado VR6 - I've been to a VR6 rolling road (another coming up in December) and 90% of the Golfs constantly put out near enough 190bhp.... I drove my mates Corrado VR6 last week and it felt no faster than my last Golf. Maybe there's a few tenths but nothing worth writing home about - although the shape is gorgeous! :-) If your on a budget go for the 16 mk2 - proper classic- and you won't be disappointed - they are also cheap to run.
<br>With regard to the chip;- Its only as thirsty as you drive it.... ;-) I have a chip in my current VR and my last VR had one....
<br>Current one is a 2.9 and drinks fuel - its scary but I think this is also due to the extra weight of the 4wd transmission... My last 2.8 was very reasonable - one word of advice - get it mapped by AMD or Stealth racing if you can...

Written on: 13/10/2005

Not too sure about the manifold, but the VR6 is not very receptive to chipping as those in the know will prob tell you. Your best bet is a shrik vgi for torque and some fast cams, all quite easy work to carry out and will seriously transform your motor............

Written on: 13/10/2005

Hi, I'm a 1997 VR6 Golf owner and I'm thinking of chipping my car as well as trying to find a 6 branch exhaust manifold etc etc. Is it really true the MPG drops that low. If I drive it nicely I get about 34 to the gallon around town and as you probably know less when you put your foot down. I'm fine with that, but not with it dropping that dramaticly. It just seems a very big drop and just wondered whether it was true or just a story. I'm in the motor trade and haven't heard anything like that before, and as you say if it's true then I may have to have a think about this carefully. Thanks.

Written on: 12/10/2005

Maybe you should try a Corrado VR6 then, becuase my 3rd/4th gear are superb, I can do 30-125 in 4th! But it has more power, better set out gear ratios and is also more aero dynamic than the golf, so better at high speed, not to mention the handling being a lot better.
<br>8v may 'feel' quicker low down, but a 16v still delivers more torque low down, it's just has more peaky power delivery so doesnt fell so.

Written on: 12/10/2005

As flexi said - I'd go for the 16Valve every time - I've had 2 MK2 16 valves and 2 MK3 16 valves... MK 2 has a more peaky buzz than the MK3 but the MK3 is still quick! I test drove a few MK2 8 valves after my first valver and was very disappointed... Insurance is more but its worth it!! MK2 16 valve is my favourite golf of all time (even though I now have a MK3 2.9 syncro!) Once they are lowered on a nice set of rims they look sweet :-D ever heard one on throttlebodies?????????? Awesome and you'll get nearly 200bhp!

Written on: 11/10/2005

I forgot to state that the 16v was better on fuel than the 8v.

Written on: 11/10/2005

Hi Pal, I have owned both an 8v and 16v. The 16v was a 5 door. The 16v engine is absolutely superb. People say that the 8 valve is quicker earlier in the rev range, but I don’t think so. Having said that a couple of my buddy's have 16v's and they feel slower to the one that I had. In some cases I could believe that some 8v's are quicker than 16v's earlier in the rev range as I think it depends on the engine, for some reason there are some 16v's slightly quicker than other 16v's, mines was definitely one of the quicker ones. I took it to Stealth Racing and had it on the rollers it was pushing out 147.5bhp (standard). Now moving on to the 8v, which I recently bought it is a 3dr. It is a quick car. I bought it of a local buddy who apparently claims that it has had upgraded cams and has been chipped. It is a quick car indeed I still think that my 16v would beat it in a race. The 16v is a good motorway car as well as around town, it revs to 8,000rpm which is nice. They are both great cars. 16v's are more prone to engine leaks 8v's are far easier to work on though. Given the choice I'd buy a 16v again. I only bought this 8v as it has had a lot of engine work to it and has had a new gearbox. I myself daily drive a Golf VR6 highline, it is pretty quick (underpowered for a 2.8 litre car though), but sounds great. As the VR6 is quicker than the 8v and 16v, when I drive the MK2's now they feel slow as I am used to the VR6, but saying this both the 8v's and 16v's are pretty rapid in their own right. The 16v would probably keep up with my VR6 in 3rd gear as 3rd in the VR6 is rubbish, only 1st and 2nd are good in the VR6 after that they are not all what people make these out to be.

Shiznit's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 10/10/2005

Hi dudees you are just the bomb...I got a dilemma. I need to buy an VW Golf MK2 as a collectors item and I got myself two superb deals..a MK2 8v and a MK2 16v. Does anyone know the differences, handling, economical and which is faster..The cars are in great condition especially the 16v belongs to an old lady who only carries her dog around. It is like new with 5 doors and in mint condition. 8v is also great but a 3 door am very much impressed by 16 v please advise.

Written on: 15/09/2005

Sorry Warren, my bad!! Please disregard the comment above

Written on: 08/09/2005

Why have you blocked me from VR6oc. I was only asking for help bringing a car into the country because you have done it yourself, I was not asking you to come with me!!!

Written on: 26/08/2005

Ok mate- go to VR6oC.com and send me a pm- my tag is fourmotion- I'll give you a shout back with my mail address ;-)

Written on: 26/08/2005

Oh yea, who was the dude, saying we're all boy racers?? hmm, don't think so pal, it just so happens that we know a lot, not exactly the same as sticking a cherry bomb exhasut on the back of a 1.2 Nova now is it?? you want a link to a 335bhp n/a ???

Written on: 25/08/2005

Hey Warren, I am currently looking into buying a Golf Rallye from Germany, could you help me out with whats involved registering in this country etc..

Written on: 28/04/2005

Thanks Flexi :-) Yeah im well chuffed m8- pick it up Monday- theres more work involved than I first thought but I hope it'll be worth it! One of the guys from the club has an absolute minter - VR6 syncro colour concept, and it has a supercharger- should hopefully be running between 240 and 280 BHP! And it looks the nuts! Obviously you get more transmission loss with the 4WD but then it has got the 2.9 lump to make up for it.... Ill let you know how it goes when I get back :-)

Written on: 27/04/2005

<br>:-)

Written on: 27/04/2005

Oh yeah Warren, you must be well chuffed with that motor you buying. All that power with 4wd go on son....that'd be something else. I trust you can mod that to whatever power you want as it will be trnsported through all 4 wheels. Let us know what its like. Regards Flexi.

Written on: 26/04/2005

I made the mistake and went for the budget coilover kit by FK called AK Coliover (can't adjust damping with these), just wish I paid an extra £100 to get the ones with the Koni inserts and adjustable dampers. But even still they shouldnt be that soft/crap. It feels like my car is sitting on marshmellows. When I hit a pot hole it is hard, but on normal roads (roads are not 100% level) it bounces, as in I literally fall out of my seat, to give you a true idea, it's like being on a boat. Oh yeah, no mate not joined club VR6 yet, can you send us the link for the website? Thanks.

Written on: 26/04/2005

You should be able to adjust the ride height? I would try raising it say 10-20mm, UK roads just aren't up to it with all the pot holes etc.

Written on: 25/04/2005

hmmm, by bouncing do you mean really stiff? Are you a member of the VR6 owners club yet flexi? My tag is bayboyv6. Get yourself on there and give me a shout.... You'll get lots of help- quite a few of the guys on there are running FK coilovers without complaints so its definitely strange- the FK units use Koni insert so the damping should be spot on....
<br>Ive just sold my VR6, and bought a VR6 syncro from Germany..... Picking it up from cologne on Monday and driving back. Its a 2.9 Golf with full time 4WD :-D So far i know its got H&R coilovers, full leather (konig front seats) climate control and sparco strut bracese fornt and rear, and a SS 6-2-1 manifold. Cant wait to get it :-)

Written on: 25/04/2005

I've just had the AK Coilovers fitted to my 97 Golf VR6, and I am so dissapointed and to be honest im annoyed. The handling is great, but the ride is so bouncy, it's like sitting on a bouncing castle. It is in particular dangerous on motorways, as it bounces all over the place, I'm affraid of going over 60 mph just in case it bounces off the road. Are there any fixes to this problem, would larger wheels like 17's help sort this problem out or will I have to go for a new kit, meaning spending more money. Please advise fella's - Flexi.

Written on: 24/01/2005

Good choice. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Have you checked your bump stops and bushes? that would also be a very good opportunity to change your bushes to a powerflex type one, it really is worth it.

Written on: 24/01/2005

Sounds feasuble, I had a nissan almera gti that had the same problem- knocking sounded a lot louder than it should. Could very well be a dry shock....Coilovers are the way to go - nice choice. Get yourself onto www.vr6oc.co.uk and signup its free although you can become a premium member for £10 a year- well worth it as you get a lots of resources for your VR6!!

Written on: 20/01/2005

Hi not yet joined Club VR6, will do though. It knocks once when I accelerate and then knocks once again when I brake hard, also knocks sometimes when I go over a bump. Been to local garage and he said that my left shock absorber has failed, hence the knocking. But it sounds as though the sound is coming from the drivers side to me don't know. Anyhow I have booked the car in to get the whole suspension system changed to FK Coilovers, costing about £550 fitted. Hope this solves the problem. Could of gone for cheaper kit, but I thought if a jobs worth doing might as well do it properly hey, rather than regretting later on. Also can change the height whenever I feel. I really hope that the shock is the root of the problem though, or else money would be going to waste.

Written on: 19/01/2005

Could well be an engine mount, especially if she's a fair few miles under her belt. Vibra technics are very good, mines done 137k though and no problems.

Written on: 19/01/2005

Hi mate, Have you joined www.VR6oc.co.uk??? If not do it!! :-) Lots of VR6 owners who are friendly and give sound advice. If it was an engine mount it would only knock under acceleration,and when coming off the gas- it would've got worse gradually as well. It could be your exhaust banging against the floorpan- loose rubber or soemthing like that....

Written on: 18/01/2005

I am getting a very serious knocking sound from my Golf VR6, when I take off in first gear or brake to come to a stand still. It is a single knock each time, and has progressively gotten louder since I bought the car just under a month ago. It sounds like it's coming from either directly under the seat or from the suspension, or I suspect it could very well be an engine mount. I know it's a little vague but have you guys experienced anything similar, if so what was it? Thanks fella's.

Written on: 13/01/2005

Yeah mate- the RR day is at stealth racing, at the end of this month- cant wait. I dont have any problems at all putting down the power but a 50mm drop all round is the reason why, and cross drilled and grooved discs help me scrub off the speed faster ;-) Ive done about as much as I can without spending big money on Shrick goodies and a charger- I dont think ill ever be able to afford them!!! If your in the market for a chip i would advise you to check out an AMD remap first as this seems to offer even better results. Youre right mate- the VR6 standard may not be as fast as some of the jap cars but its so much nicer to drive than most jap rubbish ;-) Its definitely aged well....

Written on: 13/01/2005

Well the oil level has not moved since I bought the car, so it must be transmission oil. Besides had it checked by VW specialist, and he told me it was a seal on the gearbox, he replaced that and to be safe changed the seals on the oil cooler. But it's real odd you know, as the car only creates a puddle once it has been sitting for around a couple of hours, even now. Will get it checked again and het ot sorted, hate having little niggles with my cars, really ruins the day.

Written on: 13/01/2005

You can get a 4WD VR6- its called a synchro. Left hand drive only. I know someone whos just bought one- black 3 door VR6 Colour Concept synchro (imported from Germany) has got a supercharger, apparently running near 285BHP!!!!

Written on: 12/01/2005

Yeah, I almost bought a golf VR6, It's just that a nice Corrado VR6 came along. There is a guy on the Corrado forum with a Corrado R32! and another guy has a 350bhp 4WD Corrado 1.820V T! I didn't think the golf felt smoother, maybe it's the suspension set up. But for Value for money, I think both these cars are so much better than todays hot hatches. Best suspension IMO is koni a/t with H&R springs, you won't be disappointed!

Written on: 12/01/2005

Yeah you are right mate the Golf has 174bhp standard whether this be a highline or non-highline. I believe that the source that told me about 190bhp out of the Golf was fibbing. Anyway, your VR must have some serious kick in it hey? To be honest I think VR’s are pretty quick standard, so I can only imagine what yours is like. What's it like having all that power to the front wheels, do you have trouble putting all the power down. It would be great if these were 4WD don't you agree? I would like to come to one of them Group thrash's, am I right in thinking that the next one is at Stealth Racing? I will at some point go to one of these, after I've saved a bit of cash. Having read some of the previous comments by other fellows, I don't think one can really compare the VR to other cars such as the Jap's. I believe the VR is more sophisticated and it is not all about speed, it is also about driveability and all round satisfaction. There are things one can do to any car to make them quicker, but to appreciate the actual quality of a motorcar is something else.

Written on: 12/01/2005

If my RR session reveals good figures- 195-200 BHP/@ 190+lb/ft torque (thats what i've been told to expect- but not trying to expect it if you know what i mean!) im going to go civic type r bashing ;-) Especially with all that torque....

Written on: 12/01/2005

Are you definitely leaking transmission fluid? Or is it oil- you can tell the difference by smell. Could be the crankshaft seal- its located on the side of the engine within the gearbox....Otherwise could be a cracked casing at worst- whatever get it sorted before you run out of fluid!!! :-)

Written on: 11/01/2005

Ive got a superchip, power boost valve, full ss exhaust including cat bypass and K&N filter- should be close to 200BHP- will find out at the VR6 owners club rolling road day at the end of the month! Shrick inlet manifold definately the way to go. A supercharger can be yours for 2500 quid! should take a standard car to 250BHP. As for Highline being faster it is definitely not true- it is all in the spec- full leather, heated seats, special colours etc - they are nice but cost more- no difference in power whatsoever. There were 2 types of VR6 engine an OBD1 and OBD2 having tighter emissions controls and different metering head setup also one using a ditributor, 2 uses an ignition pack, and also has better chain tensioners (which apparently dont need to be changed) The exact differences are constantly being debated! If you want 190 BHP std its going to be a corrado 2.9 VR6.

Written on: 11/01/2005

Cheers for your response mate. I have just bought my VR6 about 3 weeks ago, and just love it. I used to own a Corrado VR6 a few years ago, and regretted selling it as soon as the buyer drove it off my drive. Since then have had a Mk2 16v, very fast. The Golf VR6 I feel is so much smoother than the Corrado, however the Corrado's handling is unmatchable. It felt slightly more aggressive too. Saying that I bought the VR as its more convenient if you know what I mean, It looks great standard, if I can use the phrase 'it's like a wolf in sheep’s clothing' I love the fact that it only has subtle bits added on from the normal Mk3, and the fact that it fools many people with terms of power. I think the VR6 is pretty quick of the lights, I and a few buddies feel that the car feels so much quicker than that of a normal 174bhp car. On my VR the gearbox oil is leaking very slightly. Had this checked and had the gearbox seal replaced about a week ago. The problem still persists. The funny thing is when I took it back to the mechanic, he put the car on the ramp and the underside of the box was bone dry, but when I park the car up after a drive, it takes about a couple of hours for a small puddle to appear on the floor. Not sure what to do now. Thank god its not engine oil hey. Anyway how is your VR, are you happy with the power at present or do you want more power? I find that the power that is already present is more than enough, as the car spins in 1st gear and when you change to second. If it was 4wd I would of considered a supercharger.

Written on: 10/01/2005

Haven't heard of this, as far as I was aware, the highline is an interior spec- like how the Corrado VR6 Storm - it just means it has heated leather and you tend to pay a 2k premium for this on the 2nd hand market. I think the golf VR6 has a different MAF, there not cheap to tune which is why mine is standard, but all the people I have talked to with chipped VR6's admit it is only a small increase, it just makes the car even smoother, a bit better pick up and slightly more bhp top end. After air filter and exhaust I would definitley go shrick VGI and cams if your looking for more horsies!

Written on: 07/01/2005

I have heard from a tuning company in the UK that the Golf VR6 highline uses a different ECU to the normal Golf VR6 and on the rollers they often show 190bhp, same as the Corrado. Have any of you guys heard of this also?

Written on: 22/12/2004

Definitely worth getting a remap (chip) and a power boost valve. Just spent £250 today getting an inner CV boot, wheel bearing, new spark plugs and leads and an fully synthetic oil change. Made a big difference as the plugs were completely shot..... It also has a full magnex exhaust and K&N filter replacement. This car is much quicker than my other VR6...Unfortunately the car only has a standard manifold- gutted, a shrick one costs around 1200 quid and apparently you have to take it off to change the plugs- not good. Chipping is supposed to be good for 190 BHP and a similar (slightly less) increase in torque on a standard car. Power boost valve (increases fuel pressure) is a good inveestment but mine is seriously drinking fuel (more than a normal VR6!!!) at the moment, so I might be taking it off...... Mid range these cars are seriously quick compared to most hot hatches...

Written on: 22/12/2004

yea it's a shame people get bogged down with bhp and 0-60 figures when anyone who knows their cars will tell you that is not the most important thing. At the time the Probe V6 & Calibra V6 were outclassed by the Corrado VR6 which is group 18. The only car that springs to mind that is much more powerful of the same time is an M3 but they cost more so swings n roundabouts

Greggles972's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 21/12/2004

You guys!!! You've got to all stop comparing a VW Golf VR6 to any kind of Honda or Subaru or Pulsar or any jap car for that matter. There is no comparison. OK, jap cars are fun to drive, they all have quick 0-60 times. You can get the back of an STI impreza out on a roundabout in the wet, you can burn off ferraris at the lights in a Pulsar and you can race round the track in an Integra and beat all kinds of race prepped motors.
<br>However... In a Golf VR6, you have the low down torque, you have the comfort, you have the lovely sound of that 6 pot, you have the solid ride, tough looks. You might even forget you're driving a hatchback. Driving a VW is an experience. This is why people keep going back to them, The Volkswagen brand and predominantly the Golf has such cult status. They are so well built, they are reliable, they're not the fastest but they are there or there abouts. I love 'em and I can't get enough! It is impossible to categorise the VR6... its in a league of its own.

Written on: 21/12/2004

Yeah youre right, Ive had 2 mk3 16v's and 2 VR6's. The 16V is a group 15, and the VR6 is a 17. However with a company like HIC insuring me it didnt make that much difference- I am paying the same as I was for my Nissan Almera GTI - which is a group 15 i think- unbelievable (And with all the mods declared).

Written on: 21/12/2004

After further investigation the manifold seems to be standard- gutted!!! :-( However I'm told if you want a good un then go for a shrick, however at 1,200 quid it's rather expensive for a relatively small increase in power and torque, and you have to take it off to change the plugs once its in place- not nice at all. Apparently you can fit a mk4 24v v6 inlet manifold and regulator to the VR6 without much hassle so I'm told from a local VW garage, apparently with power gains- but again they aint cheap and I'm very dubious about the actual 'gains' to be made from it, however they do race VR6 Ventos so you'd hope they knew what they are talking about. Well worth getting a chip though and power boost valve if you can- made a big, big difference. I had a very amusing situation occur the other night, a Astra GSI decided to tailgate about a foot from my bumber, came to a roundabout, eased around the roundabout in second at 2500 rpm, then floored it, started to disappear in second, as I streched through third, I must have been nearly 100ft ahead. Nice. I love these cars :-)I think mine is running around 200BHP as just the chip takes it to 190, but I need to get it rolling roaded to know for sure.....

Written on: 21/12/2004

Not wanting to argue with you anyway, just annoys me when people say that the VR6 is underpowered for a 2.8 V6 when it isnt. What are people comparing it to. The Vectra Gsi and Mondeo ST24 have very similar power figures to the VR6, also the bhp figures do not tell the full story, what about the amount of torque which the engine produces, people who own a VR6, like yourself, know what I am talking about, people who look at the bhp figures on a peice of paper do not.

Written on: 21/12/2004

MK 3 gti 16 valve group 16 - the same as a VR6. Check www.parkers.co.uk for verification

Written on: 20/12/2004

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure the golf VR6 is a good couple of groups higher than a MK2/3 16V gti? Evo mag is usually a good source.

Written on: 20/12/2004

Apparently a 1.6 corsa is quicker than a corrado vr6 :-( http://www.reviewcentre.com/review24143.html

Written on: 17/12/2004

Think you will find that VW's intention for the VR6 was to be a refined cruiser for the autobahns not a "hot hatch." That's why the looks are so understated. If the car was intended as a sports car, surely it would have been put in a higher insurance category than the less powerful GTI 16v.

Written on: 16/12/2004

Exactly, which is why you don't compare a saloon family V6 with a hot hatch V6. First time I drove my CVR6 I noticed how smooth it was, a mechanic friend of mine said he was looking for one, looked at 4 and none of them were as nice as mine, and in stealth black! Nice to hear comments like that. What manifold do you have? Granted there are 4 cylinder cars that may beat a golf VR6 on a track but the build quality and comfort are to a high standard and if you are a lazy driver like me the V6 allows you to rarely have to change gear as much where as in a 4 cylinder car you will find yourself changing 1 or 2 cogs. Best thing about the engine is noise above 3k! Not up to M3/Alfa levels but brilliant!

Written on: 16/12/2004

Well said that man.

Written on: 15/12/2004

Not long after writing the original thread for this car I ended up selling the car as it was just too expensive to run because of the mileage I was travelling and mainly in the city. I ended up buying an almera GTI (I know, I know!!!) with 36k on the clock which I owned for 11 months. 2 weeks ago I decided I couldnt hack it any longer and ended up buying another VR6 in dragon green, superchipped, power boost valve, magnex ss exhaust + manifold and 57i induction which i've just fitted. Its also been lowered 60/ 40 mm and has 17 inch BBS rims. The car has a genuine 65k and 3 owners!!, nice... Anyway as soon as I drove it I realised what I had been missing - for a car of 7 years old, it feels like new, no creaks rattle or sqeaks and also the silky smooth power delivery which is just not possible with any 4 pot motor. I drove this car from Newcastle to Wales once I bought it and it is easily soooooo much nicer to drive than any other 4 cylinder hot hatch, all VR6 owners definately have a very special car..... :-) Comparing an R32 to an NSXR is a bit unrealistic- it is 3 times the price!!! Why not compare it to the VW Nardo W12 supercar prototype, which has been doing the rounds recently at national/ international trackday events- I think that also would be unfair on the poor old Honda ;-)

Written on: 14/12/2004

The legend V6 engine was built for economy, refinement and comfort. What about the NSX R engine, it's also a V6 but is far more powerful than an R32. My Corrado engine has 135k but still performs as good as ever so I know how good they are but as a piece of engineering, Honda are firmly ahead. Just look at there new diesel, there first ever and it is still better than the 2nd generation common rails and the new 2.0 PD. The MK5 gti is all round a better car than the CTR but the CTR beat the Golf round a track and is N/A.

Written on: 28/11/2004

Why is everybody comparing a vtec engine to a V6. If you look at the bhp per litre that a Golf VR6 produces compared to the V6 engine in the Honda Legend then you will find that VW managed to get more power than Honda. And another thing the Golf VR6 came on to the market in 1992 and the civic type R came on to the market 8 years later. Ask anyone and they will tell you that the VR6 is a legendary engine, the only thing that it needs is a shrick manifold which should have been but on at production stage but VW decided it was too expensive. Not saying the Honda is a bad car but the golf VR6 is a peice of mechanical genius and puts a smile on my face every time I hear the grunt from that engine.

Written on: 23/09/2004

To anyone considering buying a golf vr6, spend a little bit more and get a Corrado VR6, I tried both and I guarantee you will rather spend the bit extra. True no v-tec is gonna beat the sound of that v6 but for 'fun' the CTR is better, try doing 80 round a bend in a standard golf vr6 and you will soon be in a ditch, keep it to the fast straights...

Mikehell3000's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 22/09/2004

VR6 Owner....
<br>
<br>You're all a bunch BOYRACERS really !!!!
<br>Come on lads its not all about going fast is it.
<br>Its about quality AND performance. Type R's are lovely BUT come on there's not alot you could do with a TYPE R before it begins to look like something thats fallen off the back of NASA's shuttle for example The Ripp Brother TYPE R. At the end of the day The VR6 is a MAN'S CAR the TYPE R.......well lets just say it could easly be a GIRL RACERS CAR!!

Written on: 13/09/2004

cool, i think the R32 is more in the Audi S3 range than Civic and even Focus. You will probably be pleased to hear that I am now officially part of the VW brigade having just bought a Corrado VR6.
<br>Having test driven the golf VR6, mr2 Turbo & late spec Nissan 200 I can confirm that the Corrado is the best all round car. I have alays tinkered with the idea of getting one since I was a teenager and am glad I have done it. It definitley looks the best and the engine is fantastic, really smooth with a great engine note. The CVR6 is just getting going when most 4cylinder hatches are running out of breath- this is normally not much above 60. It seems to really kick off at about 3krpm onwards. Having previously owned a 205 1.9 which is hard to beat for the money, it is obviously much better. I was a bit concerned the engine would be a bit heavy for a fwd car but that theory was blown out of the water on a test drive. The turn in is precise and quick although maybe has slightly less feedback than the 205 and I bought the 205 over a crx, r5gttt &golf mk2 16v. I'm not going to mess about with the Corrado as it is just nice how it is which is testament to it's all round abilities. Although I am considering an engine conversion in the future to an R32 but I would probably have to compensate with the extra weight and power by putting a carbon/aluminium bonnet and wings for the weight distribution as well as an uprated gearbow, clutch and lsd. Alternativley I could opt for the 1.820vt 225 although I will have to talk to some fanatics who have done this. The only minor mods I am considering for now are cross drilled brakes, power flex bushes and an induction kit. I really like the understadedness of the car and wouldn't want to ruin this with a s/s exhaust that is overly loud as I discovered on the 205.
<br>When the CTR first came out I went on a 400+ mile journey with a friend who just bought one to a cruise convention in weston super mare, it is a really good car I have to admit, everyone wanted to race as us but the Civic seemed happy to sit at speeds well over 100 where other hatches wouldn't. I don't particularly like the looks, it is slightly big, the steering is overly sensitive and you do have to push it to get the best out of it- in a straight line especially. But the gearbox although controversial, grows on you and is definitley one it's best features. Of course it is no match for an R32 but is a lot cheaper and perhaps won't hold it's value quite so well as the R32 but it will hold it's value better than the other hot hatches minus the MCS so by all means don't rule it out if you'r budget won't stretch to an R32 for other readers. If you are in to tuning and it is a second hand buy, probably the evo is the best bet but if not then the R32 it has to be. I have heard rumours there is an American MK2 Corrado on the way, and judging buy the figures it is going to be one amazing machine, particularly the w8! Also coming is the EVO8 FQ400 which apparently is quicker than a Zonda! lol. getting 400bhp out of a 2litre is impressive although tuners are said to of had 1000! What is so amazing is that this car is going to be reliable enough to come with a 3 year warranty!

Written on: 12/09/2004

Obviously an NSX would beat an R32, i was comparing the Honda (Civic Type R) to an R32. Lets be honest mind - who would spend 60 odd K on a Honda??? There are a lot of cars to choose from in that bracket hence why Honda sells about 5 a year in the UK- Most of them to the blue rinse brigade :-) In the performance car magazine EVO; These guys know what they're are talking about as they test performance cars all day long; The R32 was pitched against its main competitors- a Focus RS, Civic Type R, and an Afa GTV. This is where the R32 is marketed for - the premium hot hatch market. Anyway the R32 controversially won it putting the RS in second due to excessive torque steer and the type r 3rd due to it just not being that special to beat the R32 or RS. The GTV came last as it was completely unruly although very quick. Both the type r and the civic have their bad points- although the R32 cost more i would prefer to buy a second hand one with 20 k on the clock than buy a new type r. By the way last time i looked the Evo 260 retailed at 23,999, and the R32(when available new) retailed at 22,340.You could specify extras like leather in the R32 which most people did- but you do pay 1500 quid for the priveledge (!!) All in all i do like the Civic Typr R- its fairly good looking, it handles well, its quick (0 - 60 anyway) but the R32 just does everthing better- and although its more expensive you know you wont lose that money half as quickly as the Honda, as its a much more sought after car. Golfs rule 'nuff said. :-)

Written on: 08/09/2004

good point, I don't prefer any particular make of car tho I think it's fair to say an Impreza sti would obliterate an R32 0-60 is 6.6 vs 5.2 and that is just the tip of the iceberg. The R32 is obviously a cool car but it weighs over 1.5 tonnes for godsake, it has no chance of keeping up with the sti so there not really that comparable in performance although the R32 might be 'cooler' I'm still not convinced it is actually more desirable to the general public. Ok so an R32 may be slightly quicker than an integra r but an NSX? You must be mad, they are in different leagues, an NSX R will easily beat a Carrera 4S so I don't think a 1.5 tonne hatchback will give it too many problems. an EVO 260 is actually 2k cheaper than an R32 and will still do a 1/4 mile in 13 dead so maybe best to go for the EVO and for the 2k you saved you will have it up to 330+bhp, lets see you'r R32 keep up with that. An impressive and very well built and stylish car it is, but it has it's negatives.

Written on: 02/09/2004

Come on m8- a VX220 Turbo would beat a civic type r, an integra type r, and an honda NSX with ease.....Its a bit of an insignificant comparison really- can you get four mates and their gear in a VX220??? Maybe with a trailer......As for the Evo and impreza- Evo is nice - and a definate drivers car but that is another 8k on top of the R32- forget that - ill just have a charger and uprate the engine in my R32 thanks- much more fun :-)As for the Subaru impreza WRX they are comaparable with regard to price - but the R32 is most definately the cooler car- and both are very comparable with regard to performane. As i said in my previous statment the VR6 was designed to be a cruiser for the autobahns- which it performs as admirably- its not meant to be a track car- and when you compare the Civic type R in engineering terms its got a big headstart on the VR6- with regard to advances with materials, engineering principles etc. If you compare the Honda to the R32 the honda loses badly, the R32 is faster, cooler (it manufacturer doesnt make lawnmowers), is a V6, is 4WD, is better built and has a much nicer inerior. It is set to be an icon just like the mk 2 golf rallye and g60 limited. It would kill the civic on a track especially in gear....and besides theres no point in thinking about track performance as that doesnt matter- its about real roads- dodgy cambers - steep inclines and the like- a car that great on a track is not necesarrily a good road car.

Written on: 30/08/2004

Admittedly not the best sports car. You cannot honestly say though that you think a golf vr6 will beat an integra type r round a track, you would have to put up an extremley good argument to do so. The integra has 20 or so nm less than the golf but 16 more bhp. Crucially, it weighs about 250kg less which really shows when you are trying to turn that heavy v6 in and keep it in line. The honda engine does all it's work above 5k but it is such a free revving engine with such a light fly wheel that it never feels a chore, before you know it you have hit 8k. I think we all know that an evo 8 or wrx sti would obliterate an r32. a vx220 turbo costs around the same and would soo easily beat an r32 round a track.

Winall's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 23/08/2004

I have a golf mk3 with the vr6 engine bored out to 3 liters with a nos kit its racing nos not street nos and i oblitarated my mates s2000 with a squirt of nos

Written on: 22/07/2004

see this guy knos what im talking about

Written on: 20/07/2004

S2000????? Ok a 2000CC hairdressers car with 250 BHP and 157 lb/ft torque!!!! Thats only 2 more lb/ft than a golf GTI turbo. In all fairness though they do have a good chassis, and that is good engineering to get that amount of BHP out of a 2 litre but it is a (forgettable)sports car.....And were not talking about sports cars- if we were the S2000 would come near the bottom of the list against the competition. The R32 would certainly show it the finger in gear (if not 0 - 60) But then its better built, has a much better image, and 3 grand cheaper than the S2000!!!! And you can take the kids to laugh at the Hondas:-)

Written on: 19/07/2004

man u can compair that, that is a sports car mine is a family car if u wanna play like that then go n get the r32 n get ur ass hande too u in ur big bad s2000 thoses car suxs

Written on: 17/07/2004

if you think it can out run an s2000 you must be mad!

Written on: 14/07/2004

i dont know what u guys r talking about cuz honda had no torque but the vr6 has lots of that i have a mk3 vr6 and i kill honda's any day of the week type-r's you name it they are nothing to a vr6

Written on: 16/06/2004

I have coilovers and polybushes by the way and the handling is a great improvement over the dodgy standard handling

Written on: 16/06/2004

Zidane is a good footballer but he looks stupid with the balding hair, I have two mates that will verify that I beat them in their Imprezas (not sure which models) on the motorway top end, on a twisty road off the motorway they both left me for dead, coilovers and maybe racelogic traction control too would sort the handling, mr2 turbos are terrible in the wet(my mate has one) and its more often than not wet in England.

Lucozade's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 14/06/2004

Well, dont really like mr2 or pulsar, but impreza was an option too. Actually, for the last three weeks I was after this imported impreza, one of them limited cars 555, this one was 451, twin turbo with over 400bhp etc. Rich bast came along and drove it straight away :( As for me, not that I have so much money, but got extra 12 grand to spend on wheels and I wouldnt have to pay the vrt or insurance here so thats about six grand saved at start. This man is getting another 400 cars shipped in the country (btw ireland) in october and 'promised' to keep evo IV '97 for me. If that happens... good, if not, vr6 is my choice then and I believe handling can be sorted with coilovers, strut braces f/r, complete poly bush set, anty-roll bars, chamber kits. Right? Eh, the only probleme here is another 4 mths waiting for that bloody car :). Btw, thnx a lot for ur advise.
<br>... bad luck with Zidane yesterday lads

Written on: 12/06/2004

Yes but an Impreza will beat a Golf vr6 on any road, especially one with lots of corners. For the amount you will have to be spending you could also get a mint rev 3 modded mr2 turbo with 350+bhp, it is lighter, has rwd fun and will also beat the golf, or what about a Nissan 300?

Written on: 01/06/2004

Because impreza's and pulsars are ten a penny and you cant tell me that bulging bonnet looks good...
<br>;o)

Written on: 29/05/2004

If you have so much money to spend tuning your car why dont you just buy something that already has 300+ bhp instead of spending thousands tuning it. ie an Impreza or Pulsar can be had with 300bhp for £5k. I was very tempted to go for the gold vr6 but my only concern is it's handling- perhaps this will be sorted with some decent suspension. How many miles per gallon are you getting form yours?

Written on: 28/05/2004

Gazbrook - (well faster than any corrado)
<br>My engine is polished, ported lightened flywheel, balanced with AMD remap, SS exhaust.
<br>And then there is Guy Hartleys amazing overbored 3.1 shrick inducted water injected supercharged monster, I love that car...
<br>And then there is bill schimmels 640whp Corrado VR6 Turbo.http://www.schimmelperformance.com/home.htm
<br>
<br>Long like the corrado ;o) (and the golf ;o) )

Simple.
<br>EIP Tuning Stage VI for 680+ whp
<br>http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/vwa2a3stage6vr6turbo.html

Written on: 28/05/2004

Was it a Civic Type R or Integra Type R engine you were thinking of getting?? Either way I do respect the type R because of the speed it gets out of such a small engine 1.8 isn't it?? But I have been told they only come into life if you rev them to death in the 5500 to 8000 rpm range, the VR has a lot more grunt in the low down rev range 4000 upwards and is a more refined ride, in 2nd gear from 40 - 70 you can feel the power of the vr standard with no mods, I personally think putting a supercharger or turbo on a VR would make more difference than on a type r, dubsport have an 800bhp twin engine, twin turbo golf and eip have a couple of 600bhp+ golfs so the potential is there, go on choose the vr6, you know u wanna :-)

156838_Integra23's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 27/05/2004

I would like to say that those people who think that VW's are better/faster cars than Honda's are misinformed. I own a civic and am just about to buy an integra type-r, and it will be able to nail any standard VW on the road.

Lucozade's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 27/05/2004

Ok racers, you lot have me confused completely now and this is why: I have civic '95 japanese import but only 1.3 16v engine and I was just about to import type R engine from Japan and have it fitted into civic when mate of mine bought vr6 golf and gave it to me for 200 mile drive across the country and I have to say I was impressed. Now, if I get type R I was gonna turbo charge it and same goes for vr6. Brakes, coilover suspension, and the rest!!! I like 0-60 good start but also 50-70 or 70-120 is a must have. I prefer the looks of civic but 2,8 engine can get much more tunning I was told. Is this true? Money is no object and the figures are just about same, insurance too, soo... what should I do???
<br>Please lighten me up :-(

Written on: 08/04/2004

OH CORRADO BOY!!! My Golf vr6 is as fast (well faster than any corrado) as its capacity is 3.0, but standard Golf VR6's are slower than corrado's , I took one for a test drive and as corrado's are 2.9 (190 bhp)and Golfs are 2.8 (174bhp)I could feel the difference . I do agree the handling isn't upto much either with standard suspension. I got a Golf vr6 instead of corrado because I have had several golfs before and also I found they were slightly cheaper insurance and also cost less to buy. Either in 2.8 or 2.9 they are still a quality engine,!!!

Written on: 08/04/2004

Any 4 cylinder car with no turbo that can keep up with a corrado vr6 has to be respected-especially now there is the even quicker and better handling mk2 type r!

Written on: 08/04/2004

When I first got my Corrado VR6(standard) I raced a TYPE R from a stand still, I had 2 passangers and a boot full of stuff.
<br>I was flat out and he was staying with me all the way edging forward very slowly until about 110 where I pulled away from him, he gave me the thumbs up and smiled.
<br>Respect to these cars they are quick, I really want to race another now the car is sorted ;o)
<br>Ive never driven a Golf VR6 but ive heard they are not quite up to the C's handling and power which is a shame.

Written on: 07/04/2004

I have a vr6 that has been dyno'd at 209 bhp, with cams, chip etc,a CRX beating vr6's(174bhp standard) and 4motions(around 200bhp)!!! My car does 150mph consistently and can just about beat subarus top end too its in the garage for a 3 litre conversion and I will have it back in a week or so, I hope it will do 155mph (fingers crossed)

Written on: 16/02/2004

Yea the VR6 has a cult status for sure but I think If I was looking at a VW it would definitley be the Corrado VR6 which I think is awesome.
<br>I thinks the build quality in vw has gone down hill since the mk4 golf tho, it faired terribly in reports and would you believe it the focus was way ahead.
<br>Still, VW's are probably better built then most jap cars although I don't think they are more reliable.
<br>Honda has produced over 15,000,000 v-tec systems and never once has one ever failed, that is phenomenal.
<br>You can't really compare an r32 with a civic type r as it costs 10,000 more.
<br>The VR6 has better engine flexibility but after driving both I have to say that the type r is way more fun to drive and far better value.
<br>I'm looking forward to seeing weather the MK5 golf is a match for the focus rs and new type r tho.

Written on: 14/02/2004

My VR6 already had de cat replacement pipe and full SS exhaust, K&N 57i kit and a shrick cam. The car was already running 195bhp and 185 lb ft torque. For the money i spent it was a small gain compared to what you might get with a turbo'd motor. A friend of mine owned a similar modded VR6 to mine and had his chipped and then rolling road session- thats where the figures came from. But a chip can give between a 5% - 10% rise anyways. As for comparing VTEC to VR6...Granted, Honda know how to get big BHP figures from a relatively small engine and the 0 -60 times are cracking- but what about 50 -70??? What about when you hit an upward gradient and your under 5k? VR6 would definately be showing exhausts to ya. There aint no substitute for torque m8. And as for handling the VR6 was never meant to be a hot hatch, it was meant to be a smooth 6 pot GT for the autobahns, which is where i think it performs admirably, only shame was they didnt give it a 24 valve head when they first released it. To give a car with that much weight up front more adjustability you need rear wheel drive and unfortunatly that was never going to happen. The car is beatiful to drive as its so smooth. When it come to general build quality and feel, the golf wins hands down compared to any Jap (typical germanic quality versus cheap nasty plastic and tin feel);-) The VR6 is special cos there aint that many hot hatches that have the kind of engine config usually spared for beemers and the like, and the noise is awesome with SS exhaust and induction kit. For those interested in VR6's check this site out: dyno figures for different (some v. serious) setups - http://vr6dyno.cjb.net/

Written on: 09/02/2004

The VR6 granted has lots of torque but is under powered for a 2.9 vr6. eg BMW produces a similar engine but manages to get around 150bhp more.
<br>A MK3 Golf VR6 will not beat an integra/civic type r, on a straight or round a track.
<br>This is my opinion as I have driven the civic type r and golf vr6.
<br>Golf=7.1 0-60
<br>Civic=6.8 0-60
<br>The integra, i am told will do 60 in around 6.2!

Burphammerrow's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 08/02/2004

Of course anyone who understood elementary newtonian mechanics would comprehend the meaninglessness of max bhp. For the enlightened, its area under the power curve that counts. This is where the vr6 shows its merit, putting down meaningful torque right through the rev range resulting in explosive honda battering power. A 9000 rpm high bhp engine generates no power below about 5krpm, where the vtec kicks in. I'll take the pepsi challenge with my golf any day. Hondas are superbly engineering, but there aint no replacement for displacement.

Adnansaleem's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 05/02/2004

Your having a laugh 215bhp? ive blazed enough vr6 golfs at the lights & my 16 valve red top astra gte is only 160bhp.

Darnallsheffield's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 15/01/2004

What the heck are you talking about 171- to 215, its hype! No such thing. Honda can get 160bhp from 1.6 and vr6 170 from a 2.8v6 SOHC. Golfs are rubbish, dont test the crx vtec blowin vr6's daft and 4 motions

Written on: 14/01/2004

The reason why you have never seen this chip that can make an naturally aspirated car go from 171-215bhp is because he is talking rubbish!!
<br>VR6 golf is a pretty cool car but only 171bhp from 2.8 v6, what is going on??
<br>Honda can get 189bhp from a 4cylinder 1.8!

Gurpalgill's Response to warren.'s Review

Written on: 11/12/2003

I own a vr6 golf and I have been shopping around for a chip but i have never heard of that kind of increase I would be interested in the chip that you mention.

Bmw E30's Response to warren.'s Review