Beeman SS1000 Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

rumble00's review of Beeman SS1000

“I only target shoot with my pellet guns, nothing...”

Written on: 20/07/2007 by rumble00 (1 review written)

Nice Wood Stock
Cool Fiber optic sights
Low, low price $129 at Big 5 with scope
High Power

Gorilla like10 lb trigger pull, one stage
Look down the bore, it isn't straight !!!
Very loud

General Comments
I only target shoot with my pellet guns, nothing really worth killing near me. I have a Diana 350 Magnum that is powerful, accurate, and kind of loud. I thought this Chinese Beeman would be quieter for shooting in my backyard, it isn't.

The gun looks great out of the box with a nice piece of wood and consistent bluing.

Cocking it requires a bit more force than my friend's R9. I didn't bother mounting the scope right away because the fiber optic sights are cool. My first shot didn't hit the paper from 20 yards. At 5 yards it was about 4" off. The gun simply has two very big problems. One, the single stage trigger pull is ridiculous. The only way you could get consistent groups would be with a solid bench mount. (Not recommended) The second problem is just as bad. Open the gun and look down the bore at a light source, it has a nice big curve in it. The Chinese are great copiers, but they still don't use machines accurate enough to replicate important tolerances. Their quality control is completely absent.

I bought this gun 7/19/07. So the trigger pull hasn't been fixed on recent models. Maybe some triggers and bores are OK, who knows?. You won't know until you get it home and fire it so check the return policy and don't buy it online because you will lose your shipping costs.

• Accuracy

• Handling

Vinceb's Response to rumble00's Review

Written on: 30/08/2007

The SS1000's have 2 triggers, depending on the specific sub-model. The cheap one is terrible, the better one is actually quite good. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to retrofit.
<br/>
<br/>As for your comment about Chinese manufacturing - this is an unwarranted generalization. The Chinese are quite capable of good machining... just because you got a turkey doesn't mean that no Chinese guns are any good. Shanghai (the factory that makes the SS1000's) is notoriously spotty, but BAM (who makes the B26, B30, and the Crosman Quest variants among otherss) is much better.

Marlon James's Response to rumble00's Review

Written on: 11/11/2007

To vinceb,
<br/>Good comments on Chinese made products. I admit that the prices from Beeman made in China are enticing. I am always looking for a a great deal with a balance of economy and manufacture quality. I am new to this review sight and notice common mentions of B20's or other similar types. Seems to be a growing interest. But I am concerned that there are more poorly engineered copies, Remington, Winchester, Crossman, Beeman to name a few have gone off shore. Do think that eventually to a greater degree our the air products we purchase will be completely Chinese made? Or is it only American companies that go to Chinese manufacturing to provide us lesser expensive products with understanding we get lesser quality.