Garmin nuvi 610T Review

• Clarity of Instructions

• Map Accuracy

Tyger's review of Garmin nuvi 610T

Garmin nuvi 610T

“I have seen more of rural Perthshire than I really...”

Written on: 17/07/2007 by Tyger (6 reviews written)

Wide screen and easy to understand icons. Easy to set up. Screen suction holder is easy to fit and remove.

Maps badly out of date. Verbal instructions do not always match road. Does not always use the right road.

General Comments
I have seen more of rural Perthshire than I really wanted since installing the Garmin n vi 610T. When set to "quickest" route it has taken me down roads that are little more than paved farm tracks, which are definitely not quick unless you want to risk meeting something head on. On several occasions The Garmin Nuvi 610T has misrouted because of changes in the road some of which have been in place for a number of years. I have also had the problem at a multiple offset junction where the instruction has not be given soon enough to make the turn, which is odd because it works fine on other offset junctions. Fortunately if you take a wrong turn it keeps recalculating until it gets you back on the right route. Radar warning info can be downloaded, free for 90 days, then for an annual fee. I use Garmin Sat Nav on a boat and have always found it to be excellent, although not intuitive to use from a users perspective, but I would definitely NOT recommend the Nuvi 610T.

• UK

Area Covered

• Clarity of Instructions

• Map Accuracy

Alkemist's Response to Tyger's Review

Written on: 30/09/2007

I disagree with this review because...
<br/>
<br/>I own one of these and found it excellent in all respects.

Alkemist's Response to Tyger's Review

Written on: 03/10/2007

Many of the comments about instances where directions were incorrect apply to many (if not most) sat nav systems and are not a specific issues related to the Gamin Nuvi series.
<br/>
<br/>I have experience of many systems and have found the same problems described here are applicable to each and everyone.
<br/>
<br/>I have yet to experience any problems with the Nuvi and have quite happily navigated such junctions as spaghetti junction.
<br/>
<br/>If I were to make any specific comment regarding the Garmin Nuvi 610t, it would be that it is feature rich considering the price tag.
<br/>
<br/>I purchased the unit after it as voted best by the Sunday Times. I can't remember the competition now but I do remember it included a Tom Tom. If I remember correctly the only negative point was the fact that the safety camera database didn't come with a free 12 month subscription, it only has 3 months. But, it was noted that the safety camera database on Garmin units is "directional" which isn't the case for most other systems.

Tyger's Response to Tyger's Review

Written on: 02/10/2007

I gave specific instances of where it did not work you have given none of where it does work in a complex situation. I can add M42 to M1 it gives incorrect instructions. It still gets you to the M1 by using the old road not the new (well been there a few years) one.