Premier Genista Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

spikingviking's review of Premier Genista

Premier Genista

“I custom ordered my Premier Genista kit new in '96 or...”

Written on: 16/07/2007 by spikingviking (1 review written)

Beautiful finish.
Durable hardware.
Strong resale value.
Available in power tom depths.

Can be hard to tune.

General Comments
I custom ordered my Premier Genista kit new in '96 or '97. 8x8, 10x10, 12x12, 14x14, 16x16 all suspended, 18x18, 22x18 on the floor. Terraverdi Green. I love this kit. It has been on ALL of my recordings. It looks great under stage lights and mics well on stage or in the studio. It is birch, and playing heavy rock with 2 ply batter heads can make them difficult to tune, but persistence will pay off when you find where the drum wants to be tuned. I challenge you to find more sturdy kick drum spurs. All of my hardware is in near perfect working condition, no stripped threads, no major marring on the ball and socket tom mounts, and NO FLAKING on the chrome hardware and hoops. I can't remember what exactly I paid for the kit, I think around $2500 back in '97. $2500 for a 7 pc birch power tom shell pack with solid mounting hardware and an awesome finish - to me, a small price to pay considering how many shows and recordings this kit has laid down for me, how many compliments I get on how it looks and sounds, and the time saved on tuning and retuning on costly studio time - easily worth double what I paid. I bought cases (H&B Enduro) for all the drums, but have only used them a handful of times. Through all the shows and transporting, these drums have sustained minimal (almost none) damage to the finish. Lots of hands touch these drums and they still look and sound just like I got them yesterday. If I could have another kit exactly like this in maple, I would have the best of both worlds. For pictures and more info, see http://spikingviking.tripod.com.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Advanced

Reviewer's Musical Standard

121503_John's Response to spikingviking's Review

Written on: 17/07/2007

Hi mate, gorgeous kit, I've got a six piece Genista in a similar finish. I bought it second hand for £420 (I wrote a review of it a while ago). I was just wondering if you could give me some advice. The kit keeps going out of tune a lot, the nuts are going very loose and needing tightening every week or so. Do you know of anything that would prevent them from loosening? I have no plans on replacing it so could do with sorting it out, I'm not the best as tuning my kit as it is and it being a six piece doesn't do me any favours haha! Unfortunately, where I store the kit the temperature changes an awful lot so that could be what's causing it :-s

Spikingviking's Response to spikingviking's Review

Written on: 04/01/2008

i have 1 tom thats hard to tune. Check your bearing edges and make sure they arent damaged. Also make certain the head seats properly. Getting locking tension rods helped me. Also pay close attention to your resonant head, i'll bet the rods are loose there too. I find as the heads get over streched and the top rods begin to go loose, the bottom lugs follow.
Kind of problematic, but a small price to pay.