Sony Ericsson P800 Review

• Reception

• Style

nick-butler@ntlworld.com.'s review of Sony Ericsson P800

Sony Ericsson P800

“I decided it was time to sell my faithful IPAQ 3950...”

Written on: 21/07/2003 by nick-butler@ntlworld.com. (1 review written)

Early attempt at integrating a mobile phone with a PDA
Larger than most colour screen

Very awkward to use, virtual keyboard too small & handwriting recognition too slow.
Large brick like design with no facility to customize OS or covers
Poor camera quality, software support, not a real PDA in every sense

General Comments
I decided it was time to sell my faithful IPAQ 3950 PDA and buy a fully integrated mobile phone / PDA. I asked the advice of several 'experts' in various phone outlets and was told the P800 was the one for me. "It does everything" I was told and sure enough it does - unfortunately, unconvincingly.

The P800 boasts most features including an MP3/Movie player, camera, synchronisation with PIM such as MS Outlook and looks like it may just pull it off. A phone the size of a standard house brick must be packed with technology I thought. Well, the phone does do what it says on the box and for that I cannot criticise Sony. However, I suspect there will be two distinctive camps in the P800 debate - those that have previously owned such as a Comapq IPAQ and those that have only used mobile phones. The IPAQ users will immediately fall out with the awful screen and feel of the 800. It is too small to actually view documents on and in truth offers no discernable advantage over the Sony T610. The 800 looks promising when first switched on but quickly reveals it's true colours as fat phone without the great personality which would rescue you from the jibes of friends and colleagues.

If you have owned a decent PDA such as the 400mhz IPAQ don't go near the P800 - even with a nine foot blue tooth connection. It will dissapoint I guarantee - If you have only ever used a mobile phone and can live with the comical design then you will probably be very impressed. It is - as stated previously on this site - a poor attempt at a PDA. Get yourself a T610 - very small, sexy looking and capable phone happy to bluetooth to with Outlook/Lotus.

The P800 is a brave attempt at what is cutting edge technology but sadly will be spoken about in the same breath as the Sinclair C5, Betamax Video Recorders, and lava lamps in years to come. Wait six months and the market will be flooded with just what we are all waiting for - a real PC 2003, mobile PDA that looks as good as it feels

Nick Butler

• Reception

• Style

117717_Craig.'s Response to 117576_nick-butler@ntlworld.com.'s Review

Written on: 22/07/2003

I was looking at the P800 for a long time, seemed a great phone and the fact it was a PDA was just what I needed. After reading a little further into it, it turns out its nothing like a PDA.
<br>I instead opted for a new iPaq 3970(bluetooth) and I am going to get a T610. The iPaq was only £310 and can run anything I want. The main advantage is the Microsoft OS rather than the Symbian OS. Much more available and supported.
<br>If you need something for Business get a iPaq and a bluetooth phone. If you only want to do limited PDA things (read a document, html page, email) then the P800 should be fine.

Nickcbutler's Response to 117576_nick-butler@ntlworld.com.'s Review

Written on: 17/09/2003

Thanks for making the effort to comment. Unfortunately, your comments simply illustrate my point - The P800 is a good attempt but CANNOT replace the IPAQ or similar device. It is not PDA but a flashy toy that most phone users will be able to impress their colleagues with. Wait a few more weeks and get the new redesigned Sony PDA which will also be a lot thinner and lighter.

Ukoracle's Response to 117576_nick-butler@ntlworld.com.'s Review

Written on: 06/08/2003

It is about time the voice of reason showed your unrealistic review for what it is - an unwaranted & biased diatribe. Anyone reading your review should immediately dismiss you as a philistine.
<br>1. I am a long time iPAQ user & still use it - but a lot less than I used to. The P800 is more portable & functionally pertinent. The iPAQ is a lot bigger than the P800 & as a result, not always by my side. The P800 is always with me ready for voice memos, meeting notes, calendar entries, traffic reports, web browsing, etc.
<br>2. The screen is perfectly adequate & if you cannot read it, the either visit an optician, or use the zoom finction in the edit menu. I have many very long documents that are referenced as part of my job with no problems whatsoever.
<br>3. The P800 is more functionally rich & useful than the iPAQ in a number of areas:
<br>a) It is a phone.
<br>b) It can access practically any web page for up-to-date information.
<br>c) I can get live traffic reports while driving to avoid jams.
<br>d) It has a whole raft of high-quality third-party add-ons.
<br>e) Reception and battery life are very good (unlike the iPAQs 3 to 4 hours!)
<br>f) Sony-Ericsson bluetooth is far more robust than that on all but the latest iPAQs.
<br>g) it has a 640x480 VGA camera that can MMS or email to any phone or PC
<br>4. It is also on par with the iPAQ in several others:
<br>a) When in meetings I can switch the phone off & still access all the PDA functions.
<br>b) memory is fully expandable
<br>5. The iPAQ wins in several areas
<br>a) larger screen
<br>b) business expandability with e.g. WiFi & LAN connections
<br>c) I still use my iPAQ for GPS navigation, but my P800 for up-to-the-minute traffic conditions
<br>Finally, Microsoft advocates appear to be obsessed with MHz - ohh, my iPAQ is 400MHz. Well, MHz doesn't mean a thing when comparing different chips & operating systems. The Sony Ericsson P800 with the Symbian UIQ interface is a perfect marriage that allows a smaller device to do pretty much all a base iPAQ can (and more) while lasting for days, unlike the iPAQ's hours!
<br>I use both my iPAQ & my P800 & they are both fantastic pieces of technology. However, the P800 is with me all the time as opposed to the iPAQ which is with me when I need specific functions.

Nick-Butler@ntlworld.com.'s Response to 117576_nick-butler@ntlworld.com.'s Review

Written on: 25/07/2003

25 years

118277_Hellfire.'s Response to 117576_nick-butler@ntlworld.com.'s Review

Written on: 23/07/2003

You say its to small to read i dont have this problem i can see it very clearly maybe you have trouble seeing it because your on the wrong side of 40