Homelite Timberman 45 18 Review

wannabelogger's review of Homelite Timberman 45 18

Homelite Timberman 45 18

“If you are an experienced user, or need a good...”

Written on: 14/07/2007 by wannabelogger (1 review written)

Good beginner saw for light clean up (if you are mechanically inclined). It runs well, and cuts well with a sharp chain. I paid $100 for the saw, and I have used it for several years. The saw works well on medium to small trees, and will work on larger trees, but lacks power for big jobs.

I have had some problems with it. The Chain brake locked up. I have been unable to fix it (I spent almost as much as I did on the saw new). Since the engine runs well and it cuts pretty well, I just run it without a chain brake (gotta be careful though). The starter rope broke a couple of times. The engine will flood easily. Follow the starting instructions to the letter, and you will have no problems. I carry all the tools I need to do maintenance, extra spark plugs, extra rope, and extra chain with me all the time.

General Comments
If you are an experienced user, or need a good dependable saw, get a Stihl. It is worth the extra money. If you use the Homelite Timberman 45 18 chainsaw only occasionally for light clean up and fire wood cutting, then it will work for you. (Get some wedges and use them).

I am planning on getting a Stihl (probably 3.5 to 4 Hp), but I am keeping the Timberman for lighter work.

If you have fair mechanical ability and don't mind tinkering with ropes and spark plugs once in a while, it is not a bad saw for the money.