Cambridge Audio A5 Integrated Amplifier Review

• Sound Quality

mrdom87's review of Cambridge Audio A5 Integrated Amplifier

Cambridge Audio A5 Integrated Amplifier

“Overall the Cambridge Audio A5 is a fairly good deal...”

Written on: 06/05/2007 by mrdom87 (2 reviews written)

The first good point would be that I picked this amp up nearly new from a cash converter style shop for £40, not bad at all, impressively powerful even for the current new price of £99.99. The sound quality with the speakers I'm using it with currently is pretty damn good, B&W 602 s3's, lately I've been using these speakers with a NAD 352 and the A5 keeps up fairly well with this. I've tried it with KEF Cresta 10's also which it was probably better suited due to their lower power requirements but even so this amp can make some noise when required.

The only down side I can think of is the lack of remote but for the price I paid I couldn't care less, plus I'd rather have the extra money go on decent components than a remote. Could have a little more bass but I mostly use a NAD 352 and also a 272 which are rather more powerful.

General Comments
Overall the Cambridge Audio A5 is a fairly good deal new if you are in the market for a modestly featured amp at a good price, but if you can pick one up second hand I really recommend it, I couldn't resist (seeing as it was second hand and there was no warranty to worry about) taking a peek inside, everything in there looked fairly well put together with a decent sized toroidal transformer and a fairly good sized heat sink. Higher quality overall than I expected.

Bottom line, use it with some half decent speakers. The KEFs I mentioned are very good, I got them when they were on sale in richer sounds for £50! and some quid or so a meter copper cable and be very proud of what you've achieved with so little money.

• Sound Quality