Selmer Reference 54 tenor Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

timddeb's review of Selmer Reference 54 tenor

Selmer Reference 54 tenor

“I have tried around 15 or so of these saxes, and only...”

Written on: 04/05/2007 by timddeb (2 reviews written)

Sound, Ergonomics, Durability

Case is Naff, Altisimo

General Comments
I have tried around 15 or so of these saxes, and only found two I wanted. (Wife has the second one) The first has been with me virtually since they became available. Great sound, better than any MKVI I I have tried, and there have been a lot of those, and has not let me down, being played for an average of 20hours a week. So impressed I bought Altos as well. (These have a tendancy for the G# key to stick, so watch for that) WE also have P Maurriatts which we like, for a backup, and have had Yan992, however the sound from them was not so good for me, and the ergonomics and speed of the keys was not so good. The only complaints I have is I find it difficult to get Altissimo between top top G and C above , and Selmer really are not looking after their customers with the cases they sell.Personally I like the cube shape cases, they stop you needing to carry stuff seperately, and if you ever need to drive down country lanes to get to a gig or home as I do, no matter how carefully you drive the square cases win every time. So if you find a good one buy it, dump the case on ebay before it falls apart and buy either a Yan case or better still say a Bently Sax for the case as these cases are better then Selmers, (the saxes are excellent value for money as well) so you do not advertise to people "look I am carrying around a VERY expensive piece of saleable metal" Selmers quailty control leaves a lot to be desired, so if you pick up a naff one, don't assume it's the best you can get, but NEVER buy any Selmer without playing it for half an hour first.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Advanced

Reviewer's Musical Standard