Husqvarna 460 Review

MadDogAnger's review of Husqvarna 460

Husqvarna 460

“I purchased the 460 to supplement our ice storm debris...”

Written on: 02/05/2007 by MadDogAnger (1 review written)

The upgraded compression release and primer bulb make it easy starting, both cold and hot. The x-torq engine runs extremely efficiently, but it is very strong at higher RPM's. The side mounted chain tensioner is very handy as well. And as with all the newer Husqvarna saws, daily maintenance is very quick and easy.

Coming from using the 350 for overhead work for several years, it took about a week to get used to the extra weight of the 460. The first couple hours of cutting are OK, but that 16 or so pounds (12.8lbs. is the power head only - and with empty tanks) gets mighty heavy by hour 4, and is a killer by hour 8. After about a week, you won't notice it anymore, and we now use the 460's as our limbing saws from the bucket. Due to the positioning of the exhaust, it tends to heat up the backside of your forward hand (to the point of light discomfort, even through cutting gloves) in close-quarters cutting.

General Comments
I purchased the 460 to supplement our ice storm debris removal. Since day one, the saw has worked flawlessly. We have felled several large diameter trees (the maximum size being a 40" diameter elm when our 372 was unavailable) without any issues. The x-torq engine takes a little getting used to if you have used the older Husqvarna models. It seems to take higher rpm's to generate similar torque as the older models, but once it is going it just doesn't stop! Like all saws, be sure to adjust your carburetor for your area and cutting conditions, and make sure you properly maintain your gear. I am very pleased with the Husqvarna 460 chainsaw, and I do not regret my purchase.