The Cock Inn, Beazley End Review

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

khm's review of The Cock Inn, Beazley End

“Having watched the channel 4 programme about The Cock...”

Written on: 02/05/2007 by khm (2 reviews written)

Absolutely the best carbonara I have ever tasted, and I would definitely recommend any of the pasta dishes (the Chef has apparently won several awards for his pasta). Also, the desserts were delicious, and the tiramisu is a hit.

The d cor is a bit strange, as though the place hasn't decided what it wants to be yet. The bar area is typically decorated, but in the eating areas, there is a slightly eclectic collection of nick knacks, which confuse the atmosphere. However, you don't go out for a meal to look at the d cor, and it is not a reflection on the food in any way.

Also, Beazley End is 'in the middle of nowhere', although in my opinion, it is worth the drive. If it continues to be as busy as it was the day I was there, they will have to extend the car park!

General Comments
Having watched the channel 4 programme about The Cock Inn restaurant, I was intrigued to try it. My partner and I went for lunch on a Saturday, and we were glad we booked a table, as it was very busy. I suggest you book in advance, particularly if you are travelling a long way to get there.

In regard to the menu, there didn't appear to be many starters on offer, so we ordered bread and oil, which was nice, yet the oil was definitely not olive oil and had an interesting flavour to it. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal, and although I had ordered the risotto with red wine and spicy sausage, which I really enjoyed, I was bowled over by the carbonara, which my partner had ordered, and I probably ate half of it myself!! There was plenty to choose from on the menu in terms of main courses and desserts, and it was difficult to make a decision, as it all sounded so delicious. If you are undecided, I suggest you opt for a pasta dish.

The staff were open and friendly, and although they are a young (possibly inexperienced) team, they provided good service, which really makes a difference. Look past the fact that is it so far from 'civilisation' (or at least if feels that way) and the confused d cor, and it is a great place to eat out with family and friends, and they offer something for everyone on its menu.

I would definitely recommend the Cock Inn to anyone who likes good food.

• Italian

Food Type

• £5-10

Average cost per head

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Suits all

Atmosphere

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Eponymous6's Response to khm's Review

Written on: 02/05/2007

I am Italian, and in my home town of Bari fresh pasta is made everyday by people who are not trained chefs. In fact, it's just about the simplest thing in the world to make! Speaking quite frankly, I pity people who truly believe they are having a fine dining experience by eating at The Cock Inn. If you want to try excellent food, go to the South of Italy where real, amazingly good Italian fayre is served up, not some pseudo, pretentious nonsense like this.