Apple iPod Nano - 5th Gen Review

Cognition's review of Apple iPod Nano - 5th Gen

Apple iPod Nano - 5th Gen

“Before I start, I'd like to make it clear that this...”

Written on: 17/04/2007 by Cognition (90 reviews written)

Good sound quality
Small
Very light

Battery life
Not waterproof
Mine only lasted a year
Screen scratches easily

General Comments
Before I start, I'd like to make it clear that this review is about the old iPod Nano and not the new one as shown in the picture.

I got my first mp3 player for Christmas in 2005. Around this time I really started getting into music, namely Radiohead, and thought it a good idea to get an mp3 player to replace my knackered old radio that I'd been using for the passed year or so.

I looked around a little, a few months before Christmas, and decided that the iPod Nano was the mp3 player for me. It didn't have worlds of memory, but it was made by Apple, who, being as big as they are, seemed trustworthy and offered good after sales service. I went for the 2GB version, in black, as it was cheaper than it's bigger 4Gb brother and had about as much memory as I would need.

Come Christmas day, little waited for me under the Christmas tree. This was because of the iPod's price tag, and I knew that, but I still felt a little disappointed with few more than a dozen presents to unwrap.

A few days later, we came back home from my uncle's - where we'd spent Christmas as we do most years. As soon as I got through the front door, I turned the computer on and installed the software that came with the iPod. This only took a few minutes, after which I connected my iPod and waited for all of the songs to copy - this too didn't take too long at all.

First of all, I put an Oasis track on - Wonderwall from the album 'What's The Story (Morning Glory)'. The sound quality was excellent - much better than my little radio - and I found that the headphones were very comfortable.

The iPod's scrolling circle thing was a nice touch, and I found the whole layout easy to use - the menus were easy to navigate, too.

I took my iPod with me everywhere I went, namely to school every day. I couldn't stop listening to it - probably because the sound quality was such a leap from my little radio, and also because there was the option of what to listen to, which I'd never had with listening to Fox FM - having to endure bad song after bad song, every now and again getting something good that you'd make the most of.

There was one negative thing about my iPod, though, and this was the poor battery life. When taking it to school, my iPod would last exactly the whole day and die on me just as I got home and through the front door. You could call that a good thing, but 6 hours of battery life wasn't quite enough, as sometimes I wanted to listen to music when I got home without the hassle of connecting it to the computer and charging it.

My iPod lasted me almost exactly a year. After about 8 months it started to become very damp all of the time, even though I'd try to wipe the moisture off as much as I could. By now the case had all been torn and worn as well, which meant that the screen had gotten all scratched and marked by rubbing against things in my pocket.

A year after I'd received my iPod, it died on me. Despite my hard efforts, eventually the build up of moisture got inside through a large crack on the screen. The songs still all worked, but finding the song you want without a visual display is like making a time machine out of nothing more than some cardboard boxes and some sellotape.

I tried to find out how to fix the problem by consulting the help section on Apple's website. I had no success, and without the receipt, which I'd somehow lost, I decided to cut the corner and upgrade to the new iPod Nano, this time in silver, and in the 4GB version.

The moral of the story is that my old iPod broke after only a year. However, throughout its short life, it gave me many, many good times and completely satisfied me.

The new iPod Nano has been improved greatly - the most important upgrade being a new battery which now lasts up to 24 hours instead of the very limiting 6.

If you can get one of the older models, like mine was, then they're still well worth it - although I hear that not many of these have lasted much more than a year.

I hope this story angled review has been helpful to someone.