Mossberg 835 Multi Mag-Pump Action Review

MadMexican's review of Mossberg 835 Multi Mag-Pump Action

“I purchased an 835 a few years ago mainly because of...”

Written on: 02/04/2007 by MadMexican (2 reviews written)

The price is great but for nearly the same price you can purchase a more reliable Remington 870. Takes 3.5 shells which makes it a good affordable turkey gun.

Cannot stand up to the rigors of continued wing shooting. Cycling problems make it very unreliable. Ported barrel makes for an extremely loud report for the shooter.

General Comments
I purchased an 835 a few years ago mainly because of the price. I quickly found out that you really do get what you pay for. When I took that gun to a local dove field I experienced a lot of cycling problems. Either the shell (a 2.75) would get stuck in the chamber or the ejector would have problems taking the shell out of the chamber causing a double feed. Needless to say, it made for a miserable day. The same happened when I decided to give it another chance and took it to a duck impoundment, this time using 3in shells. A friend of mine purchased an 835 as well and complained about the gun report being too loud for him. On the other end of the spectrum, my brother acquired an 835 and he absolutely loves it. He mainly shoots doves and sporting clays with it and claims to rarely having any problems. Although, he did mention that after about 3 boxes of shells, the recoil is a little bit more pronounced. Overall I think that unless money is a determining factor, folks would be better served purchasing something a bit more reliable. This gun is great for turkey hunting, where one shot usually does the trick, but I would not trust it for repeated follow up shots. Remember, you get what you pay for.