Sony DAV-S300 Review

• Sound Quality

• Ease of Set Up

Paul W.'s review of Sony DAV-S300

Sony DAV-S300

“I got my DAV S300 the week they came out over here and...”

Written on: 24/07/2001 by Paul W. (1 review written)

Good looks, DTS support, one-box convenience, good sound quality on DTS and Dolby Digital playback, incredibly easy to use and set up, nicely priced

No digital inputs, VERY limited CDR support (I'm told only one brand works), CD performance could be better

General Comments
I got my DAV S300 the week they came out over here and have been really impressed. Sounds great, looks great, only costs £549 (can be found a fair bit cheaper now). Ok, there's a few niggles but you're getting good DVD playback, digital amplifier, radio, 6 speakers and a Sony badge into the bargain!

3323_Richard Carroll.'s Response to 3090_Paul W.'s Review

Written on: 06/08/2001

Are you still happy? Did you get the multi region upgrade? My TV is 4:3 will it work alright?
<br>Thanks for your review!

12727_Jan.'s Response to 3090_Paul W.'s Review

Written on: 14/02/2002

I have a question for Enrique. Did you solve your sound problem because I have the same problem now. No sound through the speakers, only through the headphone

8229_Enrique.'s Response to 3090_Paul W.'s Review

Written on: 31/12/2001

Has anybody had the following problem with their DAV-S300?, if so please tell me if you were able to fix it without taking it to the repair centers:
<br>
<br>Sound through the speakers is gone?, played one DVD, took it out and left the unit on for one hour, placed another DVD , the image came on but to my surprise there was no sound. It does not matter if I disconnect and connect the speakers, I got no more sound thorugh them, only through the head phones.

4002_Paul W.'s Response to 3090_Paul W.'s Review

Written on: 06/09/2001

Point taken about the sub - however I use the system in a fairly small room therefore have not really been impacted by this problem.
<br>For all those interested, I have found a brand of CD media that definitely works on the DAV-S300 - Vivastar 80 min CDRs.

3848_Jono.'s Response to 3090_Paul W.'s Review

Written on: 30/08/2001

I've had my Sony DAV-S300 for a year now and paid £550 for it. It is a great system for the money (Have seen it for £415 on the web now!) and I agree with everything in the above review and comments, except I would say that the passive Sub that comes with the system is a bit weak and gets woolly when turned up. I changed the Sony sub for a powered Yamaha sub(YST-SW45 which cost around £100) and I can tell you it was money well spent! The system sounded great before but now sounds even better, rivalling systems that cost twice the price!

Jornt.'s Response to 3090_Paul W.'s Review

Written on: 27/08/2001

I agree,, the DAV-s300 is a great product, only the CDR-support is a real problem... I cannot seem to get any of 'em working,, even Sony CDR's wont go.. very annoying, very very very annoying.....

3435_Richard Carroll.'s Response to 3090_Paul W.'s Review

Written on: 12/08/2001

Thanks. Now they've brought out the 500 and 800 I'm in a right pickle......

3371_Paul W.'s Response to 3090_Paul W.'s Review

Written on: 08/08/2001

Richard - yes I'm still happy with the system, money well spent! Didn't go for the multi-region setup because 1) I don't buy other than region 2 disks, and 2) I'm a cheapskate! I do have a 16:9 TV but it will perform fine on a 4:3 model (I've tried it). Hope this is of help!