Microsoft Windows Vista Review

fryera2's review of Microsoft Windows Vista

Microsoft Windows Vista

“I'll be frank, Windows XP bugged the hell out of me,...”

Written on: 06/03/2007 by fryera2 (16 reviews written)

- Nice clean interface
- Way better than XP
- Security features good, though annoying
- Windows sidebar is pretty cool
- IE7 is much better than IE6

- I found a few compatibility issues
- A big buggy
- Ridiculous system requirements
- A total system hog

General Comments
I'll be frank, Windows XP bugged the hell out of me, with its twee interface and its massive, gaping security holes so when Microsoft released Vista with promises of better security and an interface aimed more at people who like to be able to control most aspects of their computer then I was hooked. As soon as it came out I got it and installed. So is it better than XP? yes certainly, but by how much...Well read on....

Firstly the installation. I installed this on a Pentium 4, 3.0Ghz machine with 1.5Gb of RAM and Windows XP already installed, which is well above Microsoft's frankly ridiculous minimum specs. I used the upgrade path so that I did not lose all my documents (after backing up aforementioned documents) and it still took 3 HOURS to install. At various times it tried to restart, but never managed it properly (it was only after it had finished that I found this was due to an invalid driver.

Once it had finished installing and loaded up then first impressions were favourable. The Aero interface looked nice - the 3D windows used instead of ALT+TAB are nice as well, but |I never use them to be honest. I had a bit of a play around and was still impressed - the new security features are good, but it does get slightly annoying having to confirm everything. If this prevents viruses and things being installed then it is fine by me.

Now, a month or so later I am still quite impressed, no more than that. I have had a few compatibility issues, but companies seem to be releasing drivers now so these are receding. If you have the system then I would definitely recommend it as it is much better than XP!

Themaninthevan2001's Response to fryera2's Review

Written on: 14/06/2007

I've had a lot of compatibility issues with Windows Vista, you must be lucky! I know when a new operating system comes out they are murder to get hardware and software to work well... but this one seems to be worse because of the amount of bloatware they stuck on it.