Callaway FT-i Review

Blade5's review of Callaway FT-i

Callaway FT-i

“Price is daft, but the shots you hit are amazing. If...”

Written on: 24/02/2007 by Blade5 (1 review written)

Ok, So the TV adverts and the magazines pics leave you feeling slightly cynical. Callaway and Taylormade seem to always want top dollar for their new gear whereas the likes of Nike and Ping price things competitively. I was determined I wasn't buying another driver this year because of the reasons stated. I had and FT3, it was Ok but not better than my R7 TP (the old 400cc version). To be honest, I've tried them all. Its like an eternal quest but consistently my R7 seemed to have the answers over any newcomers. Then, a few days ago I went to my local driving range. I noticed this odd shaped thing in the corner behind the counter, all taped up. 10 minutes later, I'd been persuaded to give it a go. I hit 20 0r 30 balls to warm up with my mid irons then began hitting my R7. I don't exaggerate. I was carrying about 230 with a slight fade, quite consistently. After half a dozen similar shaped shots I picked up the FT-1. It was regular, 11 degrees and set to neutral. I put a steady swing on it, the noise is explosive, the feeling said "bingo" and the range ball soared about 260 yards and never deviated a yard from being straight. I tried another - same result, another - same result. Unbelievable. I thought, lets try crushing one so I really wound up and gave it some, it wasn't a pretty swing, I came across myself and pulled the ball right, but it went totally straight - the off line bit was down to me. When it bounced into the fence 275 yards away I knew I had some serious kit in my hand. I went back to the R7. No change - 230 yards with a slight draw, back to the FT-1, 260 straight as an arrow. I hit 10 in a row. I ain't kidding. In all my time playing golf I've never had one single piece of kit make such an amazing and immediate impact. The plastic took some hammering at £349 but I couldn't go the course again without one of these in my bag. Roll on the summer. For all those who'll wait till the price comes down I would say this. You'll have a long bloody wait cos when these things catch on the shelves will empty as fast as they come in. They'll be £299 at Xmas of 2007. Why wait - buy it now and have the best summer, playing off fairways, you've ever had. I can't wait.

Price - but Callaway and Taylormade are just plain greedy.

General Comments
Price is daft, but the shots you hit are amazing. If you take your golf serious, you really really do have to try one of these. Revolutionary is the best single word to describe this driver.