Fuji Finepix 50i Review

• Image Quality

• Battery Life

Jerzy.'s review of Fuji Finepix 50i

“Next 60i-camera, then? ”

Written on: 17/06/2003 by Jerzy. (1 review written)

I have taken about 30000 pix in less than a year (600 a day and more) with this amazing little camera. People who designed it deserve lots of credit for their work. But my daughter wants me to buy a new one, hoping to inherit mine. So, it is time for the Fuji design team to get to work, so that her wish will come true a.s.a.p.
Unfortunately, there is nothing like it, or better, on the market today (june 2003).

Finaly, I wish to give Fuji company credit for their guarantees. As a customer I feel safe to buy their products knowing that I will get help when I need it.
Based on my own expensive experience, I can tell you that many other big name Companies like HP e.g. either play stupid ("we are not familiar with our products...") or simply do not respond.

The makers of Fuji Finepix 50i are hororable people with an honorable company policy I wish very much to do business with again.

Weak points:
Lens should be enclosed within the camera house, just like Minolta has done in their Dimage XT - Then I can take the camera to the seaside (salt, sand and dust will kill your camera optics- no matter what they tell you in a shop).
Pictures are always stored from memory position 1, which means that after some time the memory cells there will not be reliable. The solution is rolling storage, which will give even load to memory usage.
Bugs:
Too many pictures are cut and rearranged while storing. I have experienced this faults on two different 50i cameras.
Some pix are not written properly, with black areas as result.
Red eyes are there no matter what kind of flash I choose.

General Comments
Next 60i-camera, then?

New features I dare to suggest: xD memory, since Smartmedias 128MB is not enough. Also xD may make the camera smaller. Resolution is OK, but few more pixels will not hurt. Weaker flash for macro to

avoid "white explosions" in the pictures.

Definitely retain mp3, video and voice. How about a radio? (I can live without it, though).

Since it is possible to view pix after they have been stored to the memory, perhaps it would be possible to approve pics before they are stored?

Less lux. 50i is very sensitive, but even more sensitivity would be nice, particularly in winter darkness.

Would it be possible to improve tele?

Battery: 3 batteries is just enough to keep pace with my pix apetite... But they charge quickly, and so far trouble free.