Scarpa SL-M3 Review

• Comfort

• Style

Tom H's review of Scarpa SL-M3

Scarpa SL-M3

“I've had a pair of Scarpa SL boots for two years now...”

Written on: 12/02/2007 by Tom H (110 reviews written)

Tough, hard-wearing and surprisingly comfortable over mixed-grade walks.

The leather isn't breathable. Best to wear these only with good quality wool socks.

General Comments
I've had a pair of Scarpa SL boots for two years now and they're still going strong without failing me.

These boots were recommended by a number of friends and assistants at various retailers - I was told by one sales assistant at a local store that he'd owned a pair for nearly twenty years and still used them (but they'd been re-soled more than once). This sold it for me and the SL boots joined my outdoor footwear selection.

Although bought for my first winter mountain climb (to Snowdon in North Wales), these boots have been on plenty of mixed-grade routes and have never failed to impress. They've seen me through summer walks along the Lleyn Peninsula and in the Lake District, early Spring treks through easy countryside, and muddy trudges over Bleaklow and Kinder Scout (including ankle-deep streams and jagged rocks).

Have to say these boots are the best I've owned. For someone who only went for fabric boots, these have convinced me that full-grain leather is by far the best for support and longevity. Plus, despite the uppers having suffered a beating over many a jagged rocky outcrop, the surface has never been compromised and not once have these leaked!

The SL seem to have been part of the Scarpa range for a while now, and long may they remain!

• Comfort