Nikon FG Review

• Photograph Quality

Don.'s review of Nikon FG

Nikon FG

“I have owned my FG for over 20 years and it has never...”

Written on: 14/06/2003 by Don. (1 review written)

TTL flash metering, no useless bells and whistles, just a reasonably easy to use very well constructed camera.

Wish the flash sync was a little faster, but, hey, the camera is 21 years old, and most cameras had similar flash sync back then.

General Comments
I have owned my FG for over 20 years and it has never given me a problem. I have literally dragged it through the deserts of Israel and Saudi Arabia, on helicopters, in Norway winters, and the jungles of South East Asia, and in rain, sleet, snow, hail, and sandstorms and it has yet to let me down. Rugged, light weight, forgivable, and, most importantly, takes great pictures. I love the 28mm and 50mm Nikon E lenses, and also use a old Tamron 80-200 (could be better), and a great Sigma 28-105. Even with the EM winder,the camera is still light enough to dangle around ones neck without feeling strangled after an hour. If you can find one in good shape, BUY IT!!! They are selling now for about the same price as new 20 some years ago.

Billmee's Response to 107187_Don.'s Review

Written on: 23/12/2004

I agree. I've had mine for 20 years and abused it badly. Takes great pictures that I can easily control or let the camera help control the results. I'm not selling!

Shoop's Response to 107187_Don.'s Review

Written on: 24/12/2008

I found this review helpful because...I got into Digital some time ago and used it instead of SLR cameras. My Lumix DMC-FZ20 is the Digital camera I was looking for. I have always had an interest is SLR cameras and I purchased a Nikon F70 recently. I was surprised how good the picture colors and sharpness are and I purchased a Nikon FG-20 to continue my SLR interest. I have not put a film in the FG-20 yet and curious how good my photographs will be. This is the first review I have read about the FG-20 that does not mention any faults with the camera. I cannot find any faults with this camera either. The FG-20 is not Digital and was made long before Digital. As I remember the first Digital cameras were no where near as good as they are now. It would not surprise me if the FG-20 pictures are as good the review says they are.