Tom Tom Go 910 Review

• Map Accuracy

paul clegg's review of Tom Tom Go 910

☆☆☆☆☆
Tom Tom Go 910

“The TomTom Go 910 is a truly awful piece of kit. Over...”

Written on: 26/01/2007 by paul clegg (2 reviews written)

Displays photos and plays MP3's.
It has Bluetooth, but I've not tried it yet.
It has an earphone and headphone socket.
It comes with a Euro adapter plug.

The docking station is fragile. No stylus for the touch screen. No multi address route planing. No optimizing routes. Anti-glare screen useless. Power light invisible in bright sunshine. Preprogrammed map graphics terrible - the 'route' is not easily distinguished. No information on surrounding area regarding names of other streets. Every time you plan a route it takes too many button presses to actually start the navigation. Only 40 or so addresses allowed in the 'Favorites' folder. Car mounting very short. No 'see ahead' facility on touch screen. No facility for 'blocking/avoiding' certain roads. Pre-recorded computer voice can start 'shouting' at the start of a sentence, then go lower in volume later in the same sentence. Safety camera warnings woeful - it warns of about 60% on my machine - [with an update]; the rest are just flashed on screen. Instruction booklet and disc manual inadequate and false. Computer essential for 'full' manual. Unit too heavy for car mounting suction pad. Up-date takes a long time. Up-date updates to machine, then every time you plug it in it asks do you want to update? I've done this twice, and it still won't go away. No adequate facility for planning routes at home. Too many confirmation button presses. I have the thing set up to 'always use shortest routes', yet every time I program it to go somewhere, it asks me 'do you want to use shortest or quickest'? The wire on the in-car kit is not curly - it gets in the way all the time. The remote control has iconography that is barely visible. The remote control holder will not stick to any cleaned, dry part of my car. The packaging places the unit at the top of the box where it can easily be damaged in transit. The sat nav fails to recognize every turn-off on round-abouts. Telling you, for example '4th exit' when it means 5th - it totally ignored a supermarket exit on one roundabout I was familiar with. The sat nav guided me down unmade roads where an alternative tarmacked road was available. The sat nav will take you off a main 'A' road, down back streets for a hundred yards - no short cut - then back onto the same main road if you let it. It tries to take you down one-way streets that have been one-way for years. It has a pouch, but no strap, and the manual suggests taking the whole kit out of the car, when left - it doesn't all fit in.

General Comments
The TomTom Go 910 is a truly awful piece of kit. Over priced and over hyped. This is the 4th sat nav I have used in a professional capacity, but not the worst. That prize can go to the Garmin Quest. The Magellan 600T I recently purchased, and sent back, came with a broken car mount stem and seized up after 1 days use. Technical Help told me how to perform a full reset as if it were a common occurrence, but the 1 day it was working for me, it performed OK.

The TomTom Go 910 is a top of the range model, costing around £400, but in my opinion, is little better than directions written on a piece of paper. I will use my 3 year old semi broken Blue Media sat nav, which cost much less, in preference to this pile of self-important junk. If the Blue Media range costs around £300 for a bare bones model, then the TomTom Go 910 should sell for about £50. How the product has won awards is beyond me, TomTom should concentrate on providing a sat nav product and kick the photo, MP3 and Bluetooth into touch.

• europe

Area Covered

• Clarity of Instructions

176891_Bombom101's Response to paul clegg's Review

Written on: 27/01/2007

Hmm. I disagree, as I work at Halfords, and I get a lot of experience with Tom Tom's. They are very simple to use, and they are a very accurate sat nav. I don't think there is anything wrong with them at all.

Judthoraj's Response to paul clegg's Review

Written on: 07/05/2008

I found this review helpful because...it was detailed and accurate.

Taylor9991's Response to paul clegg's Review

Written on: 28/01/2007

I agree. The Tom Tom Go 910 Satellite Navigation system is far too overpriced.