Epiphone Sheraton II Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

tallgroove's review of Epiphone Sheraton II

Epiphone Sheraton II

“Once I had the pickups replaced - in my case Gibson...”

Written on: 06/01/2007 by tallgroove (1 review written)

Stunning yet simple good looks matched by truly superb build quality. I have the natural finish, and over the years it has gone from fresh pale wood to a softer, golden tone. Breath taking. I have had literally dozens of complements on sight alone.

The hardware. Epiphone were a bit cheap in that regard. A miracle if the thing stayed in tune for more than 15 minutes - particularly the G string, although that is a problem common to many guitars. The pickups are perfectly fine for entry level, but too thuddy and inarticulate for more ambitious playing. Same lack of top quality parts is true for pots and switch. Jack input a little loose, however not a serious problem so far.

General Comments
Once I had the pickups replaced - in my case Gibson P-94s - and installed Schaller tuning machines I was left with a guitar as good as anything money can buy. May have the pots, switch and socket replaced at some point, but that would be an artistic extravagance in all honesty. This is now my #1 guitar - and I've owned a fair few. Somehow easier to play than many, and far more versatile than it's 'blues man' image would suggest - although that is it's main strength to be sure. I would recommend it, but only if you are willing to upgrade it. Otherwise, there are better value entry-level semi hollow-body guitars out there. I've been miserly with ratings, simply because I've had to pay a good bit extra to transform it into something special, but something special it now is.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Advanced

Reviewer's Musical Standard

Vverissimo's Response to tallgroove's Review

Written on: 05/02/2007

Thanks man, you're sheraton had the same problems as mine does.
<br/>I&#039;m thinking about replacing the humb&#039;s for gibsonP-90s, do you think its worth it?

305136_Mr Wiggles's Response to tallgroove's Review

Written on: 17/08/2007

Thanks so much for your reviews I like that you also included the pros and the cons it I spend months reading reviews before I buy and yours was more than just "Its a great guitar buy it" thank you for your help

297504_Ralpharr2001's Response to tallgroove's Review

Written on: 11/07/2007

Great review. What were the Schaller mechanics you fitted??

297504_Ralpharr2001's Response to tallgroove's Review

Written on: 10/07/2007

Great honest review and I agree with your comments. I want to upgrade and will use the P94's as you suggest but what Schaller mechanics did you use??

Tallgroove's Response to tallgroove's Review

Written on: 27/05/2007

Sorry it's taken so long to reply. You've probably already installed the pick ups by now.
<br/>In case you haven't, yes, it does make a huge difference. Suddenly the individual notes are crisper and the chords just sing. In effect it's turning the guitar into a more solid Epiphone Casino, but a little less 'boxy'.

Vverissimo's Response to tallgroove's Review

Written on: 04/03/2007

oo... just read that p94 = p90s in ahumbucker sizing. :/ stupid me.
<br/>Was it worth it? did the sound reallly change all that much?