Humax PVR8000T Review

Zeb4's review of Humax PVR8000T

Humax PVR8000T

“I live in a good reception area and use the original...”

Written on: 02/01/2007 by Zeb4 (9 reviews written)

Nice to look at. Set-up is easy. Records about 20 hours of TV. The pictures are very good quality - see general comments. There are Scart sockets for both the TV and VCR or you can choose RF or Video and Audio outputs. There is an RS232C socket for upgrading from the internet via your PC (although I usually wait for the automatic software downloads from Humax) and an S/PDIF digital audio output socket. Standby power consumption is equal to or less than 8.5W, which may be good or bad, but at least it is stated in the literature. Recording directly to the VCR also gives good quality recordings. Electronic Program Guide works well with a once touch selection to record a programme, either at once or in the future.

I have only had to reset the box to the default settings once because of a problem with a few of the channels reception cutting out after a second or so. I have had very occasional problems with the box freezing and unplugging usually fixes it. The buttons on the remote are small, rubbery and need to be pressed accurately - but they are still working after quite a long time.

General Comments
I live in a good reception area and use the original analogue loft aerial - I can see the mast from our window so signal strength is not a problem! Looking at other set-top box reviews, the Humax seems to be pretty reliable. When I first got it, the radio channels could not be recorded, although the TV was fine. An email to Humax and a software upgrade followed shortly after to allow radio recording - I was impressed! If you have any questions, an email to Humax Customer Support gets a quick accurate answer. This model only has one receiver, so you can only watch and/or record one channel at a time. The later Humax PVR model has two receivers, costs quite a bit more and has twice the memory, but should be worth considering for the convenience of watching and recording different programmes at the same time. When I replace this box, the first name I will check out for the replacement will be Humax.

• Over 1 Year