Logik IR100 Internet Radio Review

• Sound Quality

letchford's review of Logik IR100 Internet Radio

“£100 seems like a steal compared to other web radios...”

Written on: 13/12/2006 by letchford (1 review written)

Easy access to thousands of radio stations, and multiple ways of streaming music from your PC (shared directories or UPNP server software - e.g. Windows Media Player 11)

Doesn't play the first few seconds of every track that is streamed from my PC. Distinctive mains hum through the speaker due to the position of the transformer directly behind it - even when in standby!

General Comments
£100 seems like a steal compared to other web radios and this is quite an attractive device which feels nice and solid. Have heard reviews that complain about loud, clicky buttons, but personally they don't bother me. However, missing the first few seconds of each track is something that will start to really cheese me off after a while, so lets hope there's a future firmware fix for this!

Also, although it can play AAC format (according to the manual), in practice, the easiest way to use this system is with something like Windows Media Player 11, which won't support that format. I use iTunes for all my music files, and have set-up Windows Media Player to watch my iTunes folder, so I can listen to any music in there from the IR100 without even having Windows Media Player or iTunes running... except for .m4a files. A quick fix is to convert these into MP3 format. Another alternative is to use shared directories on your PC, which IR100 should be able to access, but sadly I couldn't get this option to work - although this may be more to do with my Windows admin skills than any fault of the IR100.

Overall, I'm impressed, but they need to fix the problem with the first few seconds of playback, and soon!

Edward2910's Response to letchford's Review

Written on: 11/08/2007

I found this review helpful because it takes a balanced look at the product and doesn't condemn it because of a few minor faults.