Sony DAV-S880 Review

• Sound Quality

• Ease of Set Up

Jeff.'s review of Sony DAV-S880

Sony DAV-S880

“I bought this system at Christmas to replace a...”

Written on: 01/06/2003 by Jeff. (1 review written)

This system looks good. Reasonable picture.

Poor speaker leads. Definitely not Hi-Fi. Remote control fiddly.
Poor connectivity with other equipment.

General Comments
I bought this system at Christmas to replace a selection of large speakers and separates that had taken over my front room. As has been identified in the other reviews the installation is easy enough, well that is if you can cope with out a scart lead. I needed to go to the shops to buy some decent leads to make the connection from the unit to the TV. The speaker leads and connections are not what you expect with equipment at this price. Once I had everything connected and fired up, the first thing you notice is the poor design of the remote control. Small buttons, with the important function key hidden away. I loaded a CD, (Hell Freezes Over). I thought I had wired everything up wrong. Sounded flat, my PC sounds better. I checked the wiring all found to be OK. I loaded a DVD,the time taken for the DVD to start up is slow, enough time to put the kettle on. However, the audio results were markedly different. Surround sound is pretty good. The sub is not that brilliant though, I moved it around and ended up putting it behind the TV as it does emit part of the mid frequency, or at least appears to. This was distracting as the sound became remote from the centre of the action, hence the new location. Picture quality on my 5 year old Sony TV seems OK. Is it worth 500 or 600 pounds. Well no! I don't think so. The system has already been replaced. May be some cheap bargains around. Guess you need to go the separates route if you want decent audio as well as a decent picture.

Martyz's Response to 103240_Jeff.'s Review

Written on: 02/04/2004

I disagree , I have owned many stereos & found this one to sound fantastic for its size , sure the remote is not perfect but this unit was well worth the money ( $2000.00 AUD ) , I just finished watching Bad Boys II on DVD & it sounded great , not to mention this is one of the few units around that play SACD , so stick that in your pipe and smoke it - if your not sure what SACD is please do a search on it & you will be impressed. Yes , some people complin that the sub is a little less than bassey but I guess it depends on your room & surroundings , you can hook a bigger sub up if you need too , enjoy it - I certainly do !