Beeman R1 Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

drysdalem's review of Beeman R1

“I have an R/1 in 5mm and carbine barrel. It was...”

Written on: 04/12/2006 by drysdalem (1 review written)

Versatile
Trigger

A little bulky in the forearm
Comb a little low for scope mounting

General Comments
I have an R/1 in 5mm and carbine barrel. It was originally .177 and the rifle barrel. I sent it to be tuned with a maccari spring, buttoned piston and delrin spring guide. While the tuner had the weapon I asked him to change the barrel to a 5mm carbine. I like the caliber and really like the shortened length. It makes a fine middle of the road hunting rifle.

After a few hundered rounds to settle in the spring and parts I ran a series of chronograph tests on this rifle and here is a breakdown of the results. I weighed the pellets as I went. I also have rounded the velocity results to the nearest 5 FPS.

Beeman FTS pellets, 11.9 grains MV 840, ME 18.3

50 yd 610 energy 9.7

Beeman Crow Mag 12.9 grains MV 795, ME 17.9

50 yd 520 energy 7.6

Logun penetrator 15.5 grains MV 730 ME 18.1

50 yd 615 energy 12.8

As I did not want to hit my chronograph, all of the 50 yard results were from a machine rest. Of course the POI was different than from a hand supported position but as each shot was the same I did get an indication of the accuracy possible with this gun. I used a simple drafting ruler and the largest group was from the Crow mag pellets. Average group was .8 inches at 50 yards. The FTS and Logun both produced groups in the .5 inch range. All groups were shot outdoors in 50-55 degree F temperature. There was no appreciable wind during the testing.

I surely will never match those groups but it does give a hint of the potential accuracy.

Using the Logun pellets this will make a nice setup for 40-50 yard hunting shots. One of my favorite targets is the infamous snapping turtle that plagues fish ponds. It is necessary to shoot them in the head. They are usually moving unless you can catch one sunning on a log. The ranges will be as far as the pond is long and this type of shooting is always appreciated by pond owners. Of course it is of paramount importance to select a position that will send any skipped pellets into a safe area.

• Accuracy