Serif MoviePlus 5 Review

• Quality

oldbod's review of Serif MoviePlus 5

Serif MoviePlus 5

“The Serif MoviePlus 5 video creation and editing...”

Written on: 05/11/2006 by oldbod (9 reviews written)

Does all the things I have always wanted to do but could not until now.
Very plain, uncluttered interface.
British.

No trial available.

General Comments
The Serif MoviePlus 5 video creation and editing software is easy to load, no crashes, not loaded up with extra buttons to do the same job as on the toolbar controls. I did all the trials of most of the popular software, and whilst they looked good at first, it soon became apparent that they were either bloated out or were not as easy to use as stated. Software of course is a personal choice, much the same as a car perhaps. I did need the extra disc "Directors collection" as it contains more tutorials. So then, that is three discs, two @ £60 - the program disc and resource disc with the DVD writing program, and the directors collection @ £30, but Serif do usually offer a considerable discount by 'phone. I was lucky and got all the above new on Ebay for £15. Having done editing on both Windows and Mac, I can liken Movie plus 5 to the popular Mac "imovie", but to the power of 50. Allow an extra fiver to print out the manual (250 pages), which, unless you have a photographic memory you will need.

I don't think it is for the casual user, but that said, it is OK for beginners if it's going to be a regular hobby, and it's easy enough to progress with. I can't think that there is another program you would need to get later on as you progress, as Movie plus has got it all and more (some of which I don't think I will ever need to use). Although England and America share the same language, this program has an English sort of logic about it, which I find comes naturally, and it is that good, I'm sure I shall pick up a speeding fine as I rush home each evening from work to continue a project. The Which review rates it as second highest.

Deltahotel's Response to oldbod's Review

Written on: 07/04/2008

I agree with this review because... All the positive comments reflect my own experience of this software however, the "no free trial" is not strictly true as I've always purchased Serif products with a 60 day money back guarantee.<br/><br/>The only problem I had with the DVD authoring tool, was setting chapter thumbnails to something other than the first frame of the chapter. Once I found the button that moves the caret on to the required frame, that problem was sorted.

Maureen Matherk's Response to oldbod's Review

Written on: 28/07/2008

I found this review helpful because. I am considering a replacement for my dreadful Pinnacle Studio and I like the Serif PhotoPlus 10..