Tom Tom Go 300 Review

• Map Accuracy

BigJonMX's review of Tom Tom Go 300

☆☆☆☆☆
Tom Tom Go 300

“My Tomtom Go 300 came free with a brand new car,...”

Written on: 05/11/2006 by BigJonMX (5 reviews written)

Makes a great paperweight.

Inaccurate, difficult to use.

General Comments
My Tomtom Go 300 came free with a brand new car, otherwise I would really be ranting. New and straight from the box, it didn't have the local motorway on its maps, so I got the latest updates (only the app, no map updates available) and still no motorway. The advise it gives refers to old roads and junctions that no longer exist.

The company's attitude stinks: "subscribe to our newsletter" was their solution. I still can't find the 'clear' button if I want to start from scratch after entering a route, and what does "keep left, then keep left" mean on a long straight road with no junctions/turnings/forks/filters - just a regular (two-way) street that ends in a T-junction?

I will try it again on my next Sunday's trip, but so far it's proved to be a waste of time.

Bigjonmx's Response to BigJonMX's Review

Written on: 02/02/2007

Update on my TomTom Go 300 satellite navigation system after only 2 months...
<br/>
<br/>One month ago a large splodge mark (like a giants thumbprint) appeared on the screen. This stopped the gadget turning on completely. I thought it may be caused by damp/humidity, so I kept it indoors since. The mark has never gone, so it's clearly broken. It took 3 weeks, and numerous emails *and* phone calls to the company to get the result of "take it back to the shop" (the shop is a 90 minute drive away, which is why I took the recommended advise of contacting the company directly). The email support was a joke, and they kept replying to me in languages other than English, even after I asked them to write in English. No explanation.
<br/>
<br/>It's a shame, as I was beginning to enjoy having this gadget. I was learning its limitations and quirks, and understood it could not be trusted for anything serious, but as a novelty toy it was fun. Seeing my progress on long journeys was good. And the history lesson of how the roads used to be was interesting.
<br/>
<br/>My advise: make sure the shop you buy it from has an 'immediate replacement or cash refund' policy.