Tom Tom Go 710 Review

• Clarity of Instructions

• Map Accuracy

nigelblack's review of Tom Tom Go 710

Tom Tom Go 710

“I brought a TomTom Go 710 from a large retail car...”

Written on: 20/10/2006 by nigelblack (1 review written)

Excellent map details - the best by far, so easy to use, guide voices.

Sucker mount system a big mistake, faulty software, too heavy.
TomTom PR department lacking in every department. Rude does not even cover it!
Tomtom needs to follow Garmans example with regard to the size & weight of the units & mounting system.

General Comments
I brought a TomTom Go 710 from a large retail car cycle superstore, unfortunately the twist mounting system came apart within 2 weeks. Returning the unit to the shop I was told that I now had to talk to TomTom directly. This I did, the potted conversation went something like this.

I'd like a replacement mount please.

TOMTOM - How do I know that you didn't break it.

I've only had it for two weeks, I've been careful.

TOMTOM - But I've only got your word for it

The people in the shop said that you had been experiencing some difficulty with the design and had complaints about it in the past.

TOMTOM - They're only saying this because they want to get rid of you.

Needless to say I got back to the shop who duly apologised on TomTom's behalf.

Stuart 2370's Response to nigelblack's Review

Written on: 16/12/2006

I am interested in buying a sat nav. I have been reading reviewers comments on Tom Tom 710 & Garmin Nuvi 310D. I'm more likely to go for the Tom Tom. I contacted Tom Tom about the inferior suction fixing and they informed me this has been now remedied. Also their customer services department is helpful but on the very odd occasion may not be able to help, but assured me they have many satisfied customers.

Nippy's Response to nigelblack's Review

Written on: 15/07/2008

I have contacted TomTom and after supplying proof of purchase they are sending me a free replacement holder. They say it is an upgraded design. It had a 2 year guarantee when I bought it and I was within that period.

Nippy's Response to nigelblack's Review

Written on: 13/07/2008

Thats funny....this is July 2008...2 years later and my base has just broken just beyond the sucker. It is obvious that the four 1mm by 5mm plastic pilars that take the entire weight are just not strong enough. In one and a half years it has been mounted in my clasic car which does very low milage and has quite gentle suspension. Am awaiting email answer to my email guarantee claim. TomTom itself is excelent and the mount for a Go 300 in my everyday car which is much older and covered many more miles is still ok.