Norton Antivirus 2006 Review

Ieuanfawr's review of Norton Antivirus 2006

Norton Antivirus 2006

“JBHT300ZX has summed up Norton AV2006 well, and his...”

Written on: 17/10/2006 by Ieuanfawr (68 reviews written)

Seems to do what it says on the box
Upgrade from a Special (Google) version is cheap

Lengthy installation (Upgrade)
Unacceptable hit on resources on loading rendering PC, all but useless for several minutes
Over-rides Windows security settings without obvious explanation
Annoying and often meaningless pop-ups

General Comments
JBHT300ZX has summed up Norton AV2006 well, and his experiences are very similar to mine. I haven't got the world's fastest PC (2GHz, 768Mb RAM), but the time and resources it takes for NAV2006 to load is completely unacceptable. I go away and make a brew until the System Tray icon goes green. This period can include downloading and installing updates, but you wouldn't know.

I also found the installation unacceptably lengthy - there were too many reboots to remove the existing version, load the new version and then, after a 20Mb download of updates, a third reboot.

If any of the Windows security features are changed, there's a nag until they're reset the way Norton Antivirus 2006 wants them to be.

I've still got NAV2006 installed, but only until I find a better replacement.

Ieuanfawr's Response to Ieuanfawr's Review

Written on: 16/11/2006

I have now completely removed Norton Anti virus 2006, and I'm using Avast, which is free.
<br/>
<br/>Avast is a bit quirky, but my PC loads and runs more quickly. I'll write a report about Avast in a few weeks when I'm more familiar with it.
<br/>
<br/>Norton AV2006 has proved to be a waste of money.