Fuji Finepix 4900 Review

• Image Quality

Andy.'s review of Fuji Finepix 4900

“GOOD: A photographer's camera - full control of...”

Written on: 18/05/2003 by Andy. (1 review written)

Manual controls of shutter, aperture and focus, plus loads of auto modes, great big lens, long zoom, flip-up flash.

Had to be repaired twice in first 15 months. Response not as fast as some cameras.

General Comments
GOOD: A photographer's camera - full control of shutter, aperture and focus if you want it, plus loads of auto modes. Great big lens; I've taken some cracking pictures. Flip-up flash means you can GUARANTEE it's not going to go off unexpectedly. Still prefer my 35mm SLR, but this comes close and is so much more convenient / cheap to run.

BAD: Autofocus is slow (about 250ms), so I almost always pre-focus it. Inter-shot delay slower than newer models (always try this in the shop - some are terrible e.g. Minolta DimageX). But my main gripe is that in the first 15 months it had to be repaired twice - once under warranty for a dark spot on the CCD (they cleaned it - how did it get dirty is my question?), then once because the manual focus mechanism broke, and that cost me £90. I saw the mechanism - it's really flimsy and easy for dirt, damp etc. to get into it. My camera was away for well over a month for each repair.