Hot Chip, The Warning Review

From 1 review

WSD's review of Hot Chip, The Warning

Hot Chip, The Warning

“I finally bought this album because people kept raving...”

Written on: 05/10/2006 by WSD (71 reviews written)

I finally bought this album because people kept raving about how great it is. Certainly for someone who is not into dance/electronica it's a great crossover record because it's intelligent and well thought out and has actual tunes. It's more retro indie dance stuff which I think at one point was being referred to as Electroclash and is characterised by bands like The Rapture and The Faint. This has a bit more substance to it, certainly. The first half of the album is great with catchy tunes like "Over and Over" and had me dancing around my kitchen while I was cooking dinner when I first put it on. The second half of the album, however, has left me rather unconvinced. It sounds more like eighties dance/pop and is a lot quieter and has a lot less attitude and punch to it. Overall, I have only played the record a few times so perhaps I have yet to hear the nuances that my enthusiastic friends love so much so here's hoping it sinks in more over time.

• Beta Band, Gang of Four, Kraftwerk