Cash Plus Prepaid MasterCard Review

jbrowning's review of Cash Plus Prepaid MasterCard

“I found a site that appears to be pretty good at...”

Written on: 22/09/2006 by jbrowning (1 review written)

I have been using the card for about 3 months now. I have had no problems and can recommend to others. I was not too sure about the fees at first, but its working out quite cheap, as I use the card a lot.
It's the only card that I can find that is a MasterCard Chip type prepaid card. Others are Maestro. I like the fact that I can top-up my card at the Post Office

I did have problems using the card for car hire. I still think the card could be cheaper, and would like to see choice of card designs!

General Comments
I found a site that appears to be pretty good at comparing prepaid cards but not sure if I can post the web address. It's which prepaid card

www.which-prepaid-card.co.uk. It helped me make a choice, so may be useful to others.

Bovvud's Response to jbrowning's Review

Written on: 23/03/2007

I've scoured the internet to find out if the Cash Plus Prepaid Mastercard might actually HELP your credit rating. I'm not sure it would, as you're not borrowing any money!? Is this Gold card merely used to show false status? There are other pre-paid (free) credit cards available with Mastercard that aren't Gold... What's the point in it all?

Mattycfox's Response to jbrowning's Review

Written on: 09/01/2009

Cash Plus MasterCard users. I have just ordered my card and after five working days I decided to ring them and see how the progress was going. Unfortunately I have spent fifteen minutes talking very slowly to an eastern European lady (this isn't an anti-foreign call centre rant) who didn't really fill me with much confidence. many of the reviews have been generally positive, but we're talking about hard earned cash here. I'm using the card for a holiday in Japan in April and the logical idea is to put my cash on a card. Am I doing the right thing? Has anyone had any scary or bad experiences with these people. I'm confident that everything will be fine, it's just that initial first phone call that has worried me a little? any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Gmbunn's Response to jbrowning's Review

Written on: 09/07/2008

Actually yes it does help you improve and build your credit rating. You have the option of adding the 'creditbuilder' facility which basically costs you £4.95 per month which is deducted from your account. If these payments are taken on time, mycashplus will mark your credit file (Experian) with a 0. After 12 months you will have a completed loan repayment (although 12 months at £4.95 means you have paid £60 for it!).

Alphaessex's Response to jbrowning's Review

Written on: 31/05/2007

cashplus gold pre paid MasterCard does not improve your credit limit; however it does give people who otherwise wouldn't be able to get a credit or debit card, because of bad credit rating the chance of having a MasterCard payment card. The card is free to load at any Post Office 14,000, 580+ retailers in the UK or from a UK Bank account. It also has the largest holding balance of £15,000.00. Many are less than £150. Yes there are fee's associated with the card, but these are reasonable and the card holder has the choice of two accounts. One with a monthly fee (Free transaction fee's at retailers and on-line) or the Low User option of £1 per debit transaction. To purchase the card it's £9.95.
<br/>Lots of people are under the impression that credit cards are free! They're NOT, there's interest to pay, late payment fees, cash advance fees, and ATM fee's and over credit limit fees. Also bare in mind a credit card with a £1000 balance on, paying minimum payment could take you 25 years to pay off.... Now how much interest would that cost?
<br/>www.mycashplus.com